Firebirds Hard-Fought Battle Not Enough in Fast-Paced Game Saturday
Flint, Mich. - In what has been said as one of the best, most face-paced hockey games this season, the Firebirds outshot the visiting Ottawa 67's and controlled the faceoff circle all night, but were unable to solve the OHL's second-best goaltender and dropped a 4 - 2 decision Saturday. For Flint, Evgeniy Oksentyuk and Vladislav Kolyachonok (Florida Panthers) scored the goals for Flint. Jake Durham extended his point streak to five games (2G, 4A) with an assist in the contest. Anthony Popovich made 29 saves on 32 shots between the pipes. For Ottawa, Joseph Gareffa recorded a hat-trick andÂ Cedrick Andree stopped 37 of Flint's 39 shots for the victory.
Ottawa netted the lone goal of the first period with 13.6 seconds remaining in the frame. Joseph Gareffa broke free at the offensive blue line and launched a wrister from the inner edge of the right circle. The puck went off the far post and in for his eighth of the season, assisted by Marco Rossi.
Flint outshot the 67's 15 - 12 in the opening 20 minutes, and won the majority of the faceoffs 11 - 5.
Evgeniy Oksentyuk lit the lamp to tie the contest at 8:14 of period two during four-on-four play. Dennis Busby (Arizona Coyotes) joined the attack from the right point, carrying the puck to the half-boards. He made the centering pass to the slot, where Oksentyuk one-timed the puck past Andree for his team-leading 11th of the season. Busby and Jake Durham combined for the helpers.
Second-period shots favored the visitors 14 - 13, leaving Flint with the slight 40-minute edge of 28 - 26. In the faceoff circle, the 'Birds continued their winning pace with a 13 - 3 advantage in the second period and a two-period upper-hand of 24 - 8.
Ottawa scored two quick goals to start the third period. First, Kevin Bahl (Arizona Coyotes) scored his third of season at 4:16. He cycled around the right-wing circle with the puck and sniped a quick shot over Popovich's right shoulder. Gareffa was credited with the solo assist. Next, Gareffa netted his second of the night at 6:56. Noel Hoefenmayer made a slick between-the-legs move around a Flint defender and then backhanded a short-range pass to Gareffa in the slot for the one-timer.
Vladislav Kolyachonok (Florida Panthers) cut the deficit to one with his fifth of the campaign at 13:12. Connor Roberts made the set-up pass from the left-wing half-boards as Kolyachonok jumped in on the play. The Belarusian defender skated between the circles and lifted a backhand shot up and over Andree's left pad.
With just under three minutes left to play, the Firebirds called Popovich to the bench for the extra attacker. On the empty net, Gareffa scored his third of the night to complete the hat trick. It was his tenth of the season recorded at 17:30, unassisted.
Flint pulled Popovich one more time in the final minute, but to no avail. Ottawa held on for the 4 - 2 victory. Final shots-on-goal were 39 - 33 in Flint's favor. Faceoffs also favored the 'Birds 34 - 18.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 16, 2019
- Otters Score Walk off with Overtime Winner on Erie SeaWolves Night, Down Steelheads 5-4 - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Hard-Fought Battle Not Enough in Fast-Paced Game Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Greaves Shuts out the Petes 2-0 - Barrie Colts
- Petes Shut out for First Time this Season by Colts - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Can't Solve Dugas, Fall 3-1 to Frontenacs - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Fall in Extra Time to Otters - Mississauga Steelheads
- Fronts Earn First Road Win of the Season in Owen Sound - Kingston Frontenacs
- Three-In-A-Row; Hounds Up-End Generals for Perfect Week - Soo Greyhounds
- Highlight Reel Goals Lead to IceDogs 3-2 Overtime Win over Spitfires - Niagara IceDogs
- Garreffa Nets Hat Trick in Barber Poles 4-2 Win over Flint - Ottawa 67's
- Guelph Snaps Spirit Winning Streak Saturday Night - Saginaw Spirit
- 2019-20 CHL Broadcast Schedule on Sportsnet Set - OHL
- Preview: Firebirds Host Ottawa on EMHA Night Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Preview: Spirit Put Winning Streak on the Line Saturday in Guelph - Saginaw Spirit
- Firebirds Halt Knights Win Streak - London Knights
- Firebirds Snap Knights' Winning-Streak with 6-1 Victory in London Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Game Preview: Saginaw Spirit at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Firebirds Add Three New Prospects in U-18 Priority Selection
- Firebirds Set for 4th-Annual Under-18 Priority Selection Wednesday
- Firebirds Select 14 Players in OHL Priority Selection
- Firebirds Select Michigan-Born Forward Gavin Hayes 16th-Overall in OHL Draft
- Firebirds Complete Trade with Guelph