GAME 23 - Prince Albert at ICE
Tonight is the third of seven consecutive games for the ICE at the ICE Cave inside Wayne Fleming Arena. The homestand began Wednesday with a 7-0 victory over the Swift Current Broncos and continued last night with a 7-2 decision over the Medicine Hat Tigers.
The Saskatoon Blades are in town Friday and Saturday followed by the Edmonton Oil Kings December 8th and 11th.
This is the longest homestand of the season for the ICE.
Winnipeg (13-0) and Kamloops (5-0) are the only teams in the WHL yet to lose on home ice this season.
The ICE have outscored their opposition 79-19 at home.
ICE VS RAIDERS
The ICE will play Prince Albert eight times during the WHL regular season. (Oct 9 @ Wpg 8-0 W / Today @ Wpg / Dec 14 @ PA / Jan 21 @ PA / Mar 5 @ PA / Mar 22 @ PA / Mar 26 @ Wpg / Mar 27 @ Wpg).
Gage Alexander earned his first shut out of the season on October 9th making 13 saves.
Mikey Milne, Connor McClennon, Conor Geekie and Zach Benson all scored on power play as Winnipeg finished the night 4/7 on the man advantage.
Matthew Savoie had four assists.
The ICE are 6-0 in their last six games played vs Prince Albert. Since relocating to Winnipeg and the East Division, the ICE are 8-2-1 vs the Raiders.
Daniel Hauser is on a personal ten game winning streak.
Gage Alexander is on a personal six game winning streak.
Connor McClennon is on an 11 game point streak (10-11-21).
Matthew Savoie is on a 10 game point streak (6-16-22).
Mikey Milne is on a 10 game point streak (8-9-17).
Jakin Smallwood is on a five game goal scoring streak (7) and five game point streak (7-4-11).
Conor Geekie is on a two game point streak (0-4-4).
James Form is on a two game point streak (1-1-2).
Cole Muir is on a two game point streak (0-2-2).
Connor McClennon leads all WHL players with 19 goals.
Matthew Savoie leads all WHL players with 26 assists.
Matthew Savoie leads all WHL players with 38 points.
Mikey Milne leads all WHL players with a plus minus rating of +27.
Ben Zloty leads all WHL players with 15 power play assists.
Jakin Smallwood leads all WHL players with six game winning goals.
Ben Zloty leads all WHL defensemen with 24 assists and 26 points.
Matthew Savoie leads all WHL rookies with 12 goals, eight power play goals, 12 power play assists, and a plus minus rating of +19.
Daniel Hauser leads all WHL goaltenders with a goals against average of 1.50 and .939 save percentage.
ICE forward Zach Benson is one of 66 players selected by Hockey Canada to wear the Maple Leaf at the Capital City Challenge. The four team tournament featuring three men's under 17 teams and Canada's National Women's Team opened in Ottawa Friday and continues until Wednesday.
Benson had one goal during his opening game as his Team Black beat Team Red 7-2.
Benson's next game is tonight at 6:00 Central as Team Black plays the National Women's Team.
Kia CHL Top-10 Rankings - Week 8
2. Everett Silvertips
3. Kamloops Blazers
4. Edmonton Oil Kings
5. London Knights
6. Charlottetown Islanders
7. Sherbrooke Phoenix
8. Mississauga Steelheads
9. North Bay Battalion
10. Rimouski Oceanic
ICE NAMED WHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Nov 15 - Matthew Savoie 3GP 2-6-8
Oct 4 - Owen Pederson 2GP 3-3-6
ICE NAMED WHL GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK
Nov 15 - Gage Alexander 2GP 2-0, 1.00, .961
Nov 1 - Daniel Hauser 2GP 2-0, 1.00, .966, 1so
With their 11th win of the season October 27th in Calgary, Winnipeg won the most consecutive games to open a WHL season since 2006 eclipsing the previous mark of 10 games set by the 2014-15 Kelowna Rockets and 2006-07 Vancouver Giants.
A 3-1 loss in Edmonton October 29th saw the ICE fall one game short of tying for the longest winning streak in WHL history to start a season. The 1988-89 Swift Current Broncos hold the record of 12 straight wins before losing in Saskatoon October 30, 1988.
The ICE roster includes 16 forwards, 7 defenseman and 2 goaltenders.
- 7 players are from Manitoba (Bertholet, Bruce, Friesen, Geekie, Lambos, Muir, Swan).
- There are currently three 20-year-old players (Muir, Orzeck, Smallwood).
- 17 players who skated for the ICE return from last season (Alexander, Benson, Bertholet, Boucher, Bruce, Form, Geekie, Hauser, Lambos, McClennon, Milne, Muir, Orzeck, Pederson, Prosofsky, Smallwood, Zloty).
- 18 players are selections by the ICE in the WHL Bantam Draft (Alexander, Benson, Boucher, Bruce, Edwards, Fraser, Form, Geekie, Hauser, Lambos, McClennon, Milne, Oiring, Orzeck, Pederson, Prosofsky, Savoie, Zloty).
- 2 players were selected in the 2021 CHL Import Draft (Bohm, Streule).
- 15 players are eligible for the 2022 NHL Draft led by Matthew Savoie and Conor Geekie, who were selected first and second overall respectively by the ICE in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft (Bertholet, Bohm, Boucher, Bruce, Form, Friesen, Geekie, Hauser, Milne, Pederson, Prosofsky, Savoie, Streule, Swan, Zloty).
Owen Pederson (upper body) - DNP last eight games
Martin Bohm (upper body) - DNP last four games
Carson Lambos (upper body) - DNP last three games
Nov 25 - reassigned defenseman Omen Harmacy to the Winnipeg Thrashers (MU18HL)
Nov 24 - recalled defenseman Omen Harmacy from the Winnipeg Thrashers (MU18HL)
Nov 20 - recalled forward Ty Fraser from the Lethbridge Hurricanes U18 AAA (AEHL)
Nov 13 - recalled forward Aiden Oiring from the Southern Alberta Hockey Academy (CSSHL)
Nov 8 - reassigned defenseman Omen Harmacy to the Winnipeg Thrashers (MU18HL)
Nov 7 - recalled defenseman Omen Harmacy from the Winnipeg Thrashers (MU18HL)
Oct 23 - acquired a conditional 7th round pick in the 2023 Bantam Draft from the Victoria Royals in exchange for defenseman Anson McMaster
Oct 19 - assigned defenseman Brandt Young to Portage Terriers (MJHL)
Oct 7 - assigned goaltender Dawson Cowan to Winnipeg Blues (MJHL)
Oct 1 - acquired an 8th round pick in 2022 Bantam Draft from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for forward Rhys Raeside
Sept 27 - acquired a conditional 9th round pick in 2021 Bantam Draft from the Prince Albert Raiders in exchange for forward Hayden Pakkala
Sept 23 - released defenseman Mike Ladyman
ICE ON AIR
The Winnipeg ICE are teaming up with Bell Media (99.9 Bounce FM, CFRW 1290 AM, CTV and Virgin Radio 103.1 FM) to share the excitement this season.
All regular season and playoff games, presented by Royal LePage Dynamic Real Estate, can be heard on CFRW 1290 AM and www.winnipegICE.ca with Brian Munz and Kevin Olzsewski.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 28, 2021
- Hot Start Not Enough as Blades Fall 5-2 in Edmonton - Saskatoon Blades
- Prince Albert Rally Halts ICE Streak - Winnipeg Ice
- Oil Kings Storm Back to Defeat Blades - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Raiders Erase Three-Goal Deficit to Take Down Top-Ranked ICE - Prince Albert Raiders
- Ice Slide by Tigers 7-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hitmen Explode for 10 Goals vs. Pats - Regina Pats
- Hitmen Reach 10 Goals in Win over Regina - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Set to Host 14th Annual Teddy Bear Toss - Edmonton Oil Kings
- GAME 23 - Prince Albert at ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Game #22 Preview: Blades at Oil Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Pats End Alberta Road Trip in Calgary - Regina Pats
- Americans Suffer 5-1 Loss in Seattle - Tri-City Americans
- Giants Earn Third Straight Road Win with a 3-1 Triumph in Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- Slow Start Costs Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Rebels Snap Mini Losing Streak with Workmanlike 4-2 Win over Pats - Red Deer Rebels
- Slow Start Sinks Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rockets Pick Up Tenth Win Of The Season With 4-1 Victory Over Cougars - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Flag Down Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Vancouver Holds Chiefs at Bay as Spokane Loses 3-1 on Saturday Night - Spokane Chiefs
- Rebels Snap Pats 3-Game Winning Streak - Regina Pats
- ICE Run Streak to 10 with Win over Medicine Hat - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Ice Stories
- Preview - Game 1 WHL Eastern Conference Championship Series
- ICE Select 12 Players in 2022 WHL Prospects Draft
- ICE Select Steinhoff & Kvasnicka in WHL U.S. Priority Draft
- WHL Announces Eastern Conference Championship Series Schedule
- Winnipeg Advances to WHL Eastern Conference Championship Series