Fuel the Belief: Ingredients of the Match
Charlotte FC are boarding a cross-country flight over to California for a marquee matchup with star-studded LAFC on Saturday.
Here are the three ingredients of the match for LAFC.
Avoid Costly Turnovers
In last week's 3-2 loss to Chicago Fire FC, head coach Christian Lattanzio felt that turnovers in midfield led to too many transition moments, which ultimately cost the team "too much".
"Especially the way we want to play, we want to create a lot and be open with our players. We can't afford to lose simple balls in midfield because we invite transitions. And, if we do lose the ball, we have to recover the ball differently and better."
The Fire took full advantage of these transition moments, and there is no reason to believe that an LAFC side spoiled for attacking riches - Gareth Bale, Christian Arango, and Carlos Vela just to name a few - won't do the exact same.
Avoiding simple turnovers in midfield will be key to limiting the chances these superstars get.
Put Together a Full 90 Minutes
Lattanzio's side have showed glimpses of brilliant play throughout the summer months. However, outside of a marquee 4-1 win over Nashville (which was at home), the team has yet to put together a fully dominant 90-minute performance.
While no one is expecting the Crown to walk all over league-leading LAFC at their stadium, it will be important to put together a complete 90-minute performance on Saturday. Players like Christian Arango, who has scored nine goals in his last 11 games, will likely take full advantage of any defensive lapses or 10-minute periods of bad decisions.
As forward McKinze Gaines put it this week, it's about "bringing consistency home and away" to begin climbing the table.
Fuel the Belief
Coaches and players have talked all year about approaching the season with a game-by-game mentality. Not getting too ahead of yourself is important in professional soccer; otherwise, you drive yourself crazy with the potential playoff scenarios.
However, the bigger picture could hold some undeniable extra motivation for a team that believes in themselves as playoff worthy. Especially since away form has held back CLTFC all season (they have the second-most home wins of any team but only one away win), a crucial point or three against the best team in the league would be a massive boost heading into the stretch run.
This could give players that little bit of extra motivation required to find that one extra sprint, one last-ditch tackle, or one moment of magic that would net the Club a big result.
In partnership with Harris Teeter, CLTFC is bringing you the Ingredients of the Match ahead of every time our team takes the pitch during this inaugural season. While the ingredients may differ from week to week, one thing we can all agree on is when it comes to matchday, it's all about the food and the preparation and Harris Teeter has what you need. Score big with deals from great brands like these: Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, KitKat, Hershey Bars and Tide and Bounty. Stop in your Harris Teeter for great savings on Match Day essentials. Harris Teeter, Official Grocery Store of Charlotte FC!
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2022
- LAFC Hosts Charlotte FC Tomorrow, August 13 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Injury Report: Two Absent vs. Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Striker Easton Ongaro to an MLS Short Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- RSL Academy Announce Highly Touted Incoming Class - Real Salt Lake
- CF Montréal in Houston Saturday Night - Club de Foot Montreal
- RSL Academy Announce Technical Staff for 2022-23 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Set for Rematch with Austin FC on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Former Players and Media Match on August 17 Open to the Public - Club de Foot Montreal
- Crew Youth Adds Seven Partner Clubs to the Crew Network - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Celebrates the Past with Throwback Match this Sunday vs. Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake off to Seattle Sunday for Late-Night Sounders FC Tilt - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Return to Red Bull Arena to Face Orlando City SC on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Guzmán Corujo Completes ACL Surgery - Charlotte FC
- Revolution Host D.C. United on Saturday Night - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Host Club de Foot Montreal for Dynamo Charities Weekend - Houston Dynamo FC
- Fuel the Belief: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- D.C. United Defender Brendan Hines-Ike Undergoes Foot Surgery - D.C. United
- Orlando City Hits the Road against New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Christian Lattanzio: "I'm Not Proud... I'm Very, Very Proud of this Team"
- Charlotte FC Left Everything on the Pitch in Comeback Draw Versus Columbus Crew
- Christian Lattanzio Approaching Must Win Game with Ambition But Remaining Humble
- Roster Rules: Charlotte FC vs. Columbus Crew
- Playoff Scenarios for Charlotte FC on October 5th