Revolution Host D.C. United on Saturday Night
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution (7-7-9; 30 pts.) will host D.C. United (6-13-4; 22 pts.) for a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff on Saturday night at Gillette Stadium. The match airs on WSBK-TV38 and myRITV, with Brad Feldman, Charlie Davies, and Tamara Brown calling the action. Saturday's contest also airs locally on the radio via 98.5 The Sports Hub and 1260 AM Nossa Radio in Portuguese.
New England returned to the win column last weekend by recording the team's third consecutive clean sheet in a 3-0 win at Orlando City SC. Goalkeeper Djordje Petrović and center back Henry Kessler highlighted the Revolution's defense with MLSsoccer.com Team of the Week selections. Petrović now owns four shutouts in his first 10 MLS starts. The club's shutout streak now stands at 281 minutes, the longest active run in MLS. Now with only two losses in the last 15 games, the Revolution enter this weekend's home tilt seeking to record four consecutive shutouts for the first time since 2013.
The Revs' three-goal performance in Orlando saw scoring contributions from Kessler and midfielders Wilfrid Kaptoum and Matt Polster, while midfielder Tommy McNamara recorded his third multi-assist game in MLS. Meanwhile, Carles Gil, who played 45 minutes and drew the foul for the decisive penalty kick in the MLS All-Stars' win over Liga MX, added his 12th assist of the campaign on Kessler's goal. Gil is two helpers shy of the MLS assists lead as he seeks to become the second player to pace the league in that category in back-to-back years.
Saturday's match marks Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena's 100th league contest on New England's sideline. Arena, the winningest coach in league history, holds a 45-22-32 record through 99 regular season games with the Revolution. In his career, he has posted a 13-5-8 record against his former club, including a 6-1-2 mark with New England. Arena coached D.C. United to consecutive MLS Cup titles in the league's first two seasons in 1996 and 1997.
D.C. United, currently last in the Eastern Conference, is led by newly appointed manager and England football legend Wayne Rooney, who joined the club on July 12. Rooney has guided the Black and Red to a 1-1-1 record through his first three games at the helm. New England has won six in a row against the fellow MLS original club before falling in their most recent meeting, 3-2-, on April 23 at Audi Field.
The Revolution extending their 281-minute shutout streak, the best active streak in MLS, as they seek four straight shutouts for the first time since 2013.
New England going five consecutive games without conceding a goal from open play.
GK Djordje Petrović adding to his four clean sheets through 10 MLS starts.
M Carles Gil, who featured in the 2022 MLS All-Star Game earlier this week, continuing to pace MLS in key passes as he chases Luciano Acosta (14) for the MLS assists lead.
Gil adding to his two goals and three assists in seven career appearances against D.C. United.
M Tommy McNamara (197) approaching his 200th MLS appearance and building on his two-assist performance in last weekend's win.
D Brandon Bye suiting up for his 125th MLS appearance and playing at least 51 minutes to eclipse 10,000 career minutes played in MLS.
MATCH for C.H.A.N.G.E.: The Revolution host their second annual Match for C.H.A.N.G.E. on Saturday night, with several initiatives and activations planned throughout the day as the club continues to support local organizations and activists leading the charge for social justice and equity. Here are a few of the highlights, with more information available on Revolutionsoccer.net.
The New England Revolution and Black Owned Bos. have partnered to bring a dozen local, Black-owned businesses to a pop-up market at Patriot Place from 3:00 - 7:00 p.m. ET in honor of National Black Business Month. The Black Owned Bos. Market will be open to shoppers at the Patriot Place North Marketplace near CBS Sporting Club and Muse Paintbar. Click Here to learn more.
At all stadium entry gates, the Revolution Drive Series presented by Dan O'Brien Automotive Group will collect toiletries to support Hope and Comfort.
On the field, Revolution players will wear special edition jerseys featuring a C.H.A.N.G.E. patch. The game-issued jerseys will be autographed and auctioned off after the match with proceeds to benefit a local non-profit in the social justice and equity space.
Upon arrival at the stadium, players will also wear t-shirts from 195essential that were designed in collaboration with local designers and Revolution players. Those t-shirts are available for purchase at 195essential.com.
MLS Match #24
Date: Saturday, August 13
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
Venue: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
TV: WSBK-TV38, myRITV (Rhode Island)
Talent: Brad Feldman (analyst), Charlie Davies (play-by-play), Tamara Brown (sideline)
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub, WBIX 1260 AM "Nossa Radio USA" (Portuguese)
Revolution Radio Postgame Show airs on 98.5 The Sports Hub immediately following the match with Matt LaPan and Clyde Simms.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2022
- LAFC Hosts Charlotte FC Tomorrow, August 13 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Injury Report: Two Absent vs. Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Striker Easton Ongaro to an MLS Short Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- RSL Academy Announce Highly Touted Incoming Class - Real Salt Lake
- CF Montréal in Houston Saturday Night - Club de Foot Montreal
- RSL Academy Announce Technical Staff for 2022-23 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Set for Rematch with Austin FC on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Former Players and Media Match on August 17 Open to the Public - Club de Foot Montreal
- Crew Youth Adds Seven Partner Clubs to the Crew Network - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Celebrates the Past with Throwback Match this Sunday vs. Real Salt Lake - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake off to Seattle Sunday for Late-Night Sounders FC Tilt - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Return to Red Bull Arena to Face Orlando City SC on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Guzmán Corujo Completes ACL Surgery - Charlotte FC
- Revolution Host D.C. United on Saturday Night - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Host Club de Foot Montreal for Dynamo Charities Weekend - Houston Dynamo FC
- Fuel the Belief: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- D.C. United Defender Brendan Hines-Ike Undergoes Foot Surgery - D.C. United
- Orlando City Hits the Road against New York Red Bulls - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- MLS NEXT Fest Preview: Revolution Academy U-15, U-17, and U-19 Teams Heading to California
- New England Revolution Sign Defender Santiago Suarez to MLS Contract
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 22, 2022
- Revolution Select Forward Bobby Wood in Stage 2 of 2022 MLS Re-Entry Draft
- Revolution Players Collaborative Fund Donates $40,000 to Breakthrough Greater Boston, Chica Project, and Women of Color Entrepreneurs