Fuel Fall 2-1 to Thunder
WICHITA - A lone goal from Jared Thomas would not be enough for the Fuel as the Wichita Thunder stole the game in the third period and snapped the Fuel's six game win streak.
The Fuel and Thunder remained scoreless after two periods staying nearly even in shots and each having a handful of opportunities on the power play. Wichita thought they had taken the lead at 1:40 in the first with a power play attempt from Dean Stewart but the officials ruled that netminder Billy Christopoulos had made the save to keep the Thunder at bay.
The real show would take place in the third period when the Fuel got on the board first with a toe drag shot from Thomas through the five hole two minutes into the third.
The Thunder responded less than two minutes later when Garrett Schmitz launched a shot from the right circle to tie the game at one. Wichita would find the back of the net again when the Thunder won a faceoff and Jacob Graves fed a pass from the blue line to Stefan Fournier along the boards and wristed a shot to give the Thunder the 2-1 lead and win the game.
Both netminders stood strong as Thunder goaltender Evan Weninger had 30 saves of 31 shots and Christopoulos produced 31 saves on 33 shots in between the pipes. The Fuel head home after taking three out of four games on the road and look to face the Nailers in Wheeling on Saturday, January 30.
Single-Game tickets are now available for Fuel seventh season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of full season, 18 ticket and 12 ticket flex packages by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 24, 2021
- Americans Shutout Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Wins Goaltender Duel vs. Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Americans and Paterson Shutout Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Fuel Fall 2-1 to Thunder - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - January 24 - ECHL
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Rush Wrangle An Overtime Win on "Rodeo Night" - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Lose Nail Biter to Fuel - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Win Close Battle with KC - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Get a Standings Point in 5-4 OT Loss - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.