From Concacaf Champions League to the World Cup, Here Are Key Dates for Rapids Fans in 2022
Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
The Colorado Rapids will take on Guatemalan side Comunicaciones FC in the Round of 16 of the CCL, kicking off in February. Colorado is one of four MLS clubs competing in the 2022 edition of the continental tournament and qualified thanks to their first-place finish in the Western Conference in 2021.
February 17 -- First Leg of Round of 16
The first leg will be hosted in Guatemala on Thursday, at 6:00 PM MT before the Rapids host the second leg at DICK'S Sporting Good Park on Wednesday, February 23 at 6:30 PM MT.
February 23 -- Second Leg of Round of 16
The Rapids will host the second leg at DICK'S Sporting Good Park on Wednesday, February 23 at 6:30 PM MT.
The Round of 16 will be followed by home and away quarterfinal matches in March, Semifinals and first leg final in April and the second leg final in the first week of May.
March: MLS NEXT Pro debuts
Major League Soccer's new lower-division professional league, MLS NEXT Pro will complete an integrated player pathway from the MLS NEXT academy competition up to MLS first teams, offering young players and experienced professionals the opportunity to develop and showcase their talents. Twenty-one teams will compete in the inaugural season, each playing a 24-game regular season culminating in an eight-team playoff field capped by a championship final. Full schedules and other details are to be released in the coming weeks.
Lamar Hunt US Open Cup
This year's iteration of the prestigious competition is the 107th in history and first one held in three years as the 2020 and 2021 Cups were canceled due to Covid precautions. Colorado is one of eight teams to enter in the Round of 32 in the oldest ongoing national soccer competition in the United States.
April 22 -- Round of 32 Draw
Colorado will enter the tournament scene in the Round of 32 Draw, along with Nashville SC, New England Revolution, New York City FC, Philadelphia Union, Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders FC and Sporting Kansas City.
May 10-11 -- Round of 32
Competition in the Round of 32 begins.
Regular Season Games
With 34 games on the docket for the 2022 regular season, there's no shortage of opportunities to catch the Burgundy Boys this season, at home and away.
February 26 -- Season Opener at LAFC
Starting off the 2022 regular season the way we ended 2021 - against Los Angeles FC.
March 5 -- Home Opener with Atlanta United FC
The Five Stripes will make their way to Colorado for the first time in over two years in 2022 when the Rapids take on Atlanta United FC in their MLS home opener.
April 2, July 9 -- Rocky Mountain Cup
To continue a long-standing rivalry, the Rapids and Real Salt Lake will meet twice in the regular season to decide who will claim the Rocky Mountain Cup. The rivals will face off on April 2 at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park and July 9 at Rio Tinto Stadium to decide who will keep or take back the Cup.
July 4 -- Independence Day Matchup with Austin FC
The Rapids will continue their tradition of July 4th firework-worthy matchups when Austin FC travels to DICK'S Sporting Goods Park in 2022. After going 2-1-0 in the 2021 regular season, Colorado will attempt to continue its advantage over Austin on Independence Day.
Find a full 2022 regular season schedule at www.coloradorapids.com/schedule.
Summer, dates TBA: Leagues Cup
The 2022 rendition of this summer tournament featuring select MLS and Liga MX clubs will feature eight contenders, four from each league, before expanding to include the entirety of both leagues in a dramatically reimagined version in 2023. Club Leon are defending champions and the final will again take place at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.
Aug. 10: 2022 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target
St. Paul, Minnesota
This year MLS's midseason exhibition showcase and its many surrounding events take place at Allianz Field, the glittering home of Minnesota United. The opponent is yet to be announced. The 2021 edition marked a new format, the best of MLS vs. their Liga MX counterparts
October/November dates TBA: Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
The final sprint to MLS Cup. Format and schedule to be announced in the months to come.
Nov. 5: 2022 MLS Cup
The league's new champions will be crowned unless holders NYCFC claim the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy again. The match will be held at the home ground of the finalist with the superior regular season points total; it's also happening a month earlier than the past two editions in order to conclude the campaign in time for the World Cup.
Nov. 21-Dec. 18: 2022 FIFA World Cup
Thirty-two national teams from across the globe will converge on the small Gulf state for the world's biggest sporting event, which this year is taking place in autumn rather than its usual June-July timeframe in order to avoid the Middle East's scorching summer temperatures. The host nation is reportedly spending more than $200 billion to build venues and infrastructure for this tournament, which will take place at eight stadiums in and around Doha.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2022
- Sounders FC Holds Two Selections in Tomorrow's 2022 MLS SuperDraft Presented by Adidas - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Jude Wellings to Homegrown Contract - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 10, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Sign Midfielder Will Richmond to Homegrown Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Quinteros ahead of First Inter Miami Preseason: "I Want to Do Big Things with the Club" - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Veteran Winger Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- CF Montréal to Resume Training on Wednesday at Olympic Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Dallas Holds the No. 3 and No. 6 Picks in 2022 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas on January 11 - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Re-Signs Goalkeeper Evan Bush - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Signs Justin Garces to Homegrown Deal - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Clubs Open Preseason Training this Week - MLS
- From Concacaf Champions League to the World Cup, Here Are Key Dates for Rapids Fans in 2022 - Colorado Rapids
- Former Real Salt Lake Homegrown Jordan Allen Named U17 Head Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: FC Cincinnati Hold Four Picks in MLS SuperDraft 2022 - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Acquire $50,000 in 2022 Gam from FC Dallas - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Third Overall Pick in 2022 MLS SuperDraft from Toronto FC - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Charlotte FC in Exchange for Christian Makoun - Inter Miami CF
- Charlotte FC Acquires Defender Christian Makoun from Inter Miami CF in Exchange for No. 1 MLS Allocation Ranking Spot - Charlotte FC
- 2022 MLS SuperDraft: Everything You Need to Know - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Loans Leandro González Pirez to Club Atlético River Plate - Inter Miami CF
- Preview: Inter Miami CF Set for MLS SuperDraft 2022 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Loro and the Saint-Lazare/Hudson Soccer Club Renew Partnerships with CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Loans Tomás Pochettino to River Plate - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Defender Nanu on Loan from FC Porto - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Host Nashville SC in First-Ever Regular Season Meeting at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park
- Keys against Nashville SC: Capitalize on Set Pieces and Keep an Eye on Mukhtar
- Canadian International Mark-Anthony Kaye Called up to National Team for June Matches
- Robin Fraser Boosts Head Coaching Tenure with 50 Regular Season Wins
- SuperDraft Pick Anthony Markanich Showcases Versatility, Confidence in MLS Debut