Atlanta United Signs Justin Garces to Homegrown Deal
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed Justin Garces as a Homegrown Player for the 2022 season with options through 2024. Garces returns to Atlanta United after starring at UCLA over the last four seasons. The goalkeeper played for the Academy's U-19 team in 2017-18.
"Justin is someone we are very excited about bringing back to the club," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "We saw the raw talent he had when he came through our Academy and made some appearances at the USL level. He has really progressed over the last four years after playing at a top program like UCLA. He has a great frame and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. We are excited to see him continue his development with our club."
Garces will be available to media members on a Zoom call at 4:30 p.m. ET. Media may join the call HERE. Passcode: 245662
Garces, 21, spent the past four seasons with the UCLA Bruins, where he played in 57 games. He recorded 21 victories and registered seven clean sheets in his career. Garces appeared and started in a team-high 14 matches his freshman season. His first career NCAA clean sheet came on Sept. 8 in a 1-0 win at eventual NCAA Champion Maryland. In 2019, Garces started 17 of 18 matches for the Bruins. He made a total of 58 saves and finished with a 63.0 save percentage that season.
In 2020, Garces made 11 starts before closing out his collegiate career with 14 starts in 2021. This past season he recorded a career-best 1.16 GAA, while also finishing with a career-high 70.6 save percentage. He tied his single-season best with seven victories in 2021 as UCLA advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Garces earned 2021 Pac-12 All Conference Second Team honors.
Prior to college, Garces was a member of the Atlanta United U-19s and made two starts in Atlanta United 2's inaugural season in the USL Championship in 2018. The goalkeeper was also a member of the U.S. Men's National Team for the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup, where he started all five games and earned three clean sheets. He also made two appearances for the USMNT U-19's in his career.
Name: Justin Garces
Birthdate: Aug. 23, 2000 (Age: 21)
Birthplace: Miami, Florida
Nationality: United States
Transaction: Atlanta United signed Justin Garces as a Homegrown Player on Jan. 10, 2022.
2022 Atlanta United roster (as of Jan. 10, 2022)
Goalkeepers (3): Dylan Castanheira, Justin Garces, Brad Guzan
Defenders (10): Mikey Ambrose, George Bello, George Campbell, Alex De John, Alan Franco, Andrew Gutman, Brooks Lennon, Efrain Morales, Miles Robinson, Bryce Washington
Midfielders (11): Osvaldo Alonso, Ezequiel Barco, Jürgen Damm, Emerson Hyndman, Franco Ibarra, Marcelino Moreno, Jake Mulraney, Matheus Rossetto, Amar Sejdic, Santiago Sosa, Tyler Wolff
Forwards (5): Luiz Araújo, Machop Chol, Jackson Conway, Erik López, Josef Martínez
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2022
- Sounders FC Holds Two Selections in Tomorrow's 2022 MLS SuperDraft Presented by Adidas - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Jude Wellings to Homegrown Contract - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 10, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Sign Midfielder Will Richmond to Homegrown Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Quinteros ahead of First Inter Miami Preseason: "I Want to Do Big Things with the Club" - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Veteran Winger Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- CF Montréal to Resume Training on Wednesday at Olympic Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Dallas Holds the No. 3 and No. 6 Picks in 2022 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas on January 11 - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Re-Signs Goalkeeper Evan Bush - Columbus Crew SC
- Atlanta United Signs Justin Garces to Homegrown Deal - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Clubs Open Preseason Training this Week - MLS
- From Concacaf Champions League to the World Cup, Here Are Key Dates for Rapids Fans in 2022 - Colorado Rapids
- Former Real Salt Lake Homegrown Jordan Allen Named U17 Head Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: FC Cincinnati Hold Four Picks in MLS SuperDraft 2022 - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Acquire $50,000 in 2022 Gam from FC Dallas - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Third Overall Pick in 2022 MLS SuperDraft from Toronto FC - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF Acquires No. 1 Spot in Allocation Ranking from Charlotte FC in Exchange for Christian Makoun - Inter Miami CF
- Charlotte FC Acquires Defender Christian Makoun from Inter Miami CF in Exchange for No. 1 MLS Allocation Ranking Spot - Charlotte FC
- 2022 MLS SuperDraft: Everything You Need to Know - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Loans Leandro González Pirez to Club Atlético River Plate - Inter Miami CF
- Preview: Inter Miami CF Set for MLS SuperDraft 2022 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Loro and the Saint-Lazare/Hudson Soccer Club Renew Partnerships with CF Montréal - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Loans Tomás Pochettino to River Plate - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Defender Nanu on Loan from FC Porto - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Columbus Crew
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew
- Vicente Reyes Called up to Chilean National Team
- Ronald Hernández Called up to Venezuela for Upcoming FIFA Window
- Andrew Gutman to Miss 8-12 Weeks with Quadriceps Tendon Injury