Fresno falls 3-2 to Sacramento Saturday night
West Sacramento, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats (48-44) topped the Fresno Grizzlies (47-46) 3-2 from Raley Field. Sacramento starter Conner Menez (2-0) earned the win after five and two-thirds innings of one-run ball. He allowed seven hits and struck out seven without walking a batter. Fresno lefty Ben Braymer (0-2) suffered the hard-luck loss in the pitcher's duel. Braymer punched out five, a Triple-A best for him.
Zach Green opened the scoring for the River Cats in the first. A single to center notched Abiatal Avelino. Green and Avelino would record a similar result in the fifth, the eventual go-ahead run. Chris Shaw mustered a solo shot as well for Sacramento, his 10th of the year. Wilmer Difo highlighted the Grizzlies offense with three hits, a run and RBI. Difo plated Andrew Stevenson in the ninth. Carter Kieboom tallied the other Grizzly RBI.
Fresno dropped to 29-10 in Sacramento since the beginning of the 2015 season (4-3 in 2019). The Grizzlies are now a game and a half back of the River Cats for first place in the Pacific Northern Division Standings.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 3B Wilmer Difo (3-4, 2B, RBI, R)
- LHP Ben Braymer (5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K)
- RHP Ronald Pena and RHP Dakota Bacus (3.0 IP, 0 R, 4 K)
Top Performers: Sacramento River Cats (San Francisco Giants)
- 1B Zach Green (2-3, 2 RBI, BB)
- SS Abiatal Avelino (2-4, 2B, 2 R, SB)
- LHP Conner Menez (5.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Sunday July 14 Sacramento River Cats (Away) RHP Wil Crowe (Fresno) vs. LHP Andrew Suarez (Sacramento) 1:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Jake Noll extended his club-high hit streak to eight games Saturday night in Sacramento. Noll doubled in the top of the second, his fourth extra-base hit in the current streak.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Isotopes Power Their Way to 12-2 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Nets Series over I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Chupacabras Claim Series with Dramatic 10-8 Walkoff Win - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Drops Big to New Orleans, Splits Series - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Chase Storms Away with Brooms - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz and O'Brien Homer in 'Cakes Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fraley Drives in Game-Winner in Extras, Tacoma Takes Series against Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno Returns Home Following Heartbreaking Loss in Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Rally at Raley: Grizz cap off series against SAC with 5-4 comeback win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Comeback comes up short against Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-43) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators' Brown Parlays Hard Work into Success - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strong again as River Cats squeak by Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Get Ahead, Stay Ahead Versus Aces - Reno Aces
- Fresno falls 3-2 to Sacramento Saturday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds, Dodgers Split Twin-Bill - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers and Redbirds Split Double Dip - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Dominate 'Topes to Earn First Post-Break Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.