Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-43)
Game #93: Nashville Sounds (40-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-43)
Pitching Matchup: LHP Joe Palumbo (1-0, 3.86) vs. RHP Joe Gunkel (1-1, 3.90)
First Pitch: 6:15 CST
Radio: 97.5 FM
TV: MiLB TV
At the Park
Gates open at 5:15 p.m.
Booster Pillow Giveaway presented by First Tennessee to the first 1,000 fans (12 & under).
Middle Tennessee Hyundai Dealers pre-game autograph session with select Sounds players from 5:15 to 5:30 p.m.
Postgame Kids (12 & under) Run the Bases presented by First Tennessee.
Salute to Service Night - We honor those who serve or have served in the armed forces. The Sounds will sport their military jerseys and hats as we honor military personnel before the game. Discounted tickets are available for all military families - active and veteran.
From the Notes
Joe Palumbo: 24-year-old Joe Palumbo starts for the Sounds in tonight's series finale. The left-hander is making his third start with the Sounds tonight. His last start with Nashville was on July 1 versus Oklahoma City, where he earned his first career Triple-A win. He allowed one unearned run on five hits and three walks while tying his season-high of 10 strikeouts. The Sounds won the game 4-3. The New York native has spent the majority of his 2019 season at Double-A Frisco where he is 0-0 with a 3.19 ERA in 11 games (10 starts). He has covered 53.2 innings and has allowed 43 hits and 25 walks to go along with 69 strikeouts. Palumbo has made three appearances (two starts) for Texas, his last appearance coming in relief on July 7 at Minnesota. He threw 3.0 shutout innings in the 4-1, 11-inning win over the Twins. Overall, Palumbo is 0-1 with an 11.00 ERA pitching for Texas. He's currently listed as the #7 Rangers prospect by MLB Pipeline. The Rangers drafted him in the 30th round of the 2013 MLB Draft out of St. John the Baptist (NY) High School.
Nashville vs. Gunkel: The Sounds faced Baby Cakes' starter Joe Gunkel once this season, back on June 21 in New Orleans. He lasted 4.0 innings, allowing two runs on six hits and one walk while striking out 3 batters. The Sounds won that game 6-5 after hitting back-to-back-to-back home runs by Tyler Pill, Patrick Wisdom and Matt Davidson in the top of the 9th inning to overcome a late two-run deficit. Active hitters preformed against Gunkel as such: Zack Granite, 0-2; Andy Ibáñez, 1-2, RBI; Tyler Pill, 1-1, RBI; Carlos Tocci, 1-1, BB; Eli White, 1-2; Patrick Wisdom, 1-2.
Wisdom Walking Off: Last night's walk-off home run by infielder Patrick Wisdom was the first walk-off win for the Sounds this season. The last walk-off home run by Nashville came over two years ago, on June 20, 2017. It was game two of a double-header against New Orleans. Matt Olson was the hero, launching a three-run home run in the bottom of the 7th inning.
Against the Grain: Nashville punched out 14 batters for a second consecutive night in Saturday night's win, tying the team's season-highs. It was the 5th time Nashville did so this season, (July 12 vs. New Orleans, July 1 vs. Oklahoma City, May 24 vs. Memphis, April 4 vs. Iowa). New Orleans hitters are usually tough to strikeout ranking 5th in the PCL for the least amount of strikeouts. Meanwhile, Nashville pitchers find themselves ranked 13th in the PCL in pitching strikeouts. Last night, starter Tim Dillard struck out 9 batters in 6.0 innings of work, setting his season-high and marking him one shy of his career-high set back on April 14, 2005 with High-A Brevard County versus Jupiter. The last time he had nine strikeouts was back in the same season in 2005 on August 21 at Palm Beach.
What's the word around Nashville?
Minor League Promos (@MiLBPromos)
Something for everyone at today's @nashvillesounds game. They have a @SoundsBooster Pillow giveaway, and Military Appreciation jerseys
Minor League Baseball (@MiLB)
Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends Patrick Wisdom gives Jett Bandy a little assist with this play. @nashvillesounds @Rangers : atmilb.com/2xKkwMm
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Isotopes Power Their Way to 12-2 Victory - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Express Nets Series over I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Chupacabras Claim Series with Dramatic 10-8 Walkoff Win - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Drops Big to New Orleans, Splits Series - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Chase Storms Away with Brooms - San Antonio Missions
- Diaz and O'Brien Homer in 'Cakes Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fraley Drives in Game-Winner in Extras, Tacoma Takes Series against Aces - Tacoma Rainiers
- Reno Returns Home Following Heartbreaking Loss in Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Rally at Raley: Grizz cap off series against SAC with 5-4 comeback win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Comeback comes up short against Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-52) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (50-43) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators' Brown Parlays Hard Work into Success - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strong again as River Cats squeak by Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Get Ahead, Stay Ahead Versus Aces - Reno Aces
- Fresno falls 3-2 to Sacramento Saturday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Redbirds, Dodgers Split Twin-Bill - Memphis Redbirds
- Dodgers and Redbirds Split Double Dip - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Dominate 'Topes to Earn First Post-Break Win - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Lopes Home Run Lifts Sounds over Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-69) vs. Iowa Cubs (70-61)
- Sounds Lose Lead, Fall in Iowa
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (60-68) vs. Iowa Cubs (69-61)
- Sounds Edge I-Cubs in Series Opener