Four Indians Headed to Pittsburgh as September Call-Ups
INDIANAPOLIS - With major league rosters expanding on Sunday, Sept. 1, the Pittsburgh Pirates today recalled infielder Cole Tucker, outfielder Jason Martin and right-handed pitcher Yacksel Rios from Indianapolis. The Pirates also selected the contract of Tribe catcher Steven Baron.
Tucker and Martin both made their major league debuts already this season for Pittsburgh. Rios' MLB debut came in August 2017 with Philadelphia, and Baron got his first taste of the majors in September 2015 with Seattle.
Tucker, 23, was Pittsburgh's first-round pick in 2014 and hit .261 (81-for-310) with eight home runs, four triples, 15 doubles, 51 runs scored and 11 stolen bases in 77 games for Indy. In 41 games with the Buccos, the switch-hitting middle infielder batted .195 (22-for-113), but each of his two big league homers were memorable blasts; he went deep in his MLB debut on April 20 and homered in his homecoming against the Diamondbacks in Arizona.
Martin, 23, was acquired by the Pirates in the January 2017 swap that sent Gerrit Cole to Houston. The California native hit .259 (96-for-370) with eight home runs, five triples, 25 doubles and 50 RBI in 101 games for the Tribe. He made his MLB debut on April 6 and recorded a single, stolen base and run scored in his first major league inning. He posted a .250 average (9-for-36) in 19 games for Pittsburgh before his return to Triple-A.
Rios, 26, was claimed off waivers by Pittsburgh from Philadelphia on August 3. He was assigned to Indianapolis, where he registered one save and a 2.35 ERA (4er/15.1ip) in nine outings. Rios' career numbers in the majors include a 4-2 record, 55 strikeouts and a 6.38 ERA in 55.0 innings pitched.
Baron, 28, signed with the Buccos as a minor league free agent on Dec. 17, 2018. He appeared in 45 games for Indianapolis and hit .180 (24-for-133) with two home runs and eight RBI. The Miami, Fla. native has six career major league games under his belt.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2019
- RailRiders score 13 runs in the 7th and 8th innings to claim I.L. North title - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff - Syracuse Mets
- Four Indians Headed to Pittsburgh as September Call-Ups - Indianapolis Indians
- Ballpark Golf Returns with â??The Sahlen Field Links' September 18-20 - Buffalo Bisons
- All-You-Can-Eat Packages Highlight Bulls Playoff Run - Durham Bulls
- Chandler Shepherd Named International League Player of the Month - IL
- Ten Takeaways from Indy's 2019 Season - Indianapolis Indians
- Thank You, Fans - Rochester Red Wings
- Adam Duvall Named International League Batter of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Tejay Antone Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- 'Tis the Season: Rowdie's Home Plate Holiday Coming to Victory Field
- Top Performances of 2021, No. 8: Sulser Catches Clippers with Seven Shutout
- Indianapolis 2021 Final Notes
- Top Performances of 2021, No. 9: Ponce Surrenders One Run in Quality Start
- Top Performances of 2021, No. 10: Marvelous Gem Silences Sounds