Chandler Shepherd Named International League Player of the Month
September 3, 2019 - International League (IL) News Release
The International League announced today that Norfolk pitcher Chandler Shepherd has been named the League's Player of the Month for August. Along with winners from other leagues, Shepherd will be presented with an award from Minor League Baseball and Uncle Ray's Potato Chips in recognition of his outstanding performance last month.
Chandler Shepherd turned in five very impressive starts for the Norfolk Tides in the final full month of the 2019 regular season while also getting his first action in the majors. When with the Tides in August, Shepherd led all qualifying IL starting pitchers with a 1.62 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, and .181 opponents batting average. After being named the IL Pitcher of the Week on August 4, Shepherd suffered his only loss of the month on the 8th , a 3-2 decision to
Indianapolis in which two of the three runs scored against him were unearned. His next appearance came at Yankee Stadium as he made his MLB debut for the Orioles, tossing 4.0 innings and allowing just one run. His last two starts of the season at the Triple-A level were consecutive victories over Charlotte, a club fighting hard at the time for a possible playoff berth. Shepherd had entered the month with a combined record of 0-9 between Pawtucket, where he began the year, and Norfolk. Shepherd was promoted to Baltimore again following the conclusion of the Tides' regular season schedule. He is the first player from the Tides to be honored as IL Player of the Month since Travis Ishikawa in May of 2013.
Chandler Shepherd, who turned 27 during August, is in his sixth season pitching professionally. He was selected by Boston in the 13th round of the 2014 draft, reaching
Triple-A in 2016 and spending most of the next four seasons with Pawtucket until being designated for assignment in May. He was claimed by the Orioles on waivers. Shepherd is a native of Louisa, Kentucky.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 3, 2019
- RailRiders score 13 runs in the 7th and 8th innings to claim I.L. North title - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff - Syracuse Mets
- Four Indians Headed to Pittsburgh as September Call-Ups - Indianapolis Indians
- Ballpark Golf Returns with â??The Sahlen Field Links' September 18-20 - Buffalo Bisons
- All-You-Can-Eat Packages Highlight Bulls Playoff Run - Durham Bulls
- Chandler Shepherd Named International League Player of the Month - IL
- Ten Takeaways from Indy's 2019 Season - Indianapolis Indians
- Thank You, Fans - Rochester Red Wings
- Adam Duvall Named International League Batter of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Tejay Antone Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.