Forward Russell Commits to Brown University
DES MOINES, IA - Forward Jonny Russell announced his commitment to Brown University this morning.
"I love the area and the school," Russell said. "A huge thank you to my family and all the people who have helped me during my hockey career so far to get me where I am."
Russell comes off a banner year last season in the NAHL where he won the South Division's Forward of the Year tallying 31 goals and 17 assists. The Bucs selected him in the 3rd Round of the 2018 USHL Phase II Draft.
"What a great opportunity for Jonny to excel both on the ice and in the classroom at Brown," GM Tom Mannino said. "He's been a consistent leader since coming to the Bucs and his dedication is paying off. We look forward to watching him compete for the Bears."
As one of the 20-year-olds on the roster, Jonny has been an important part of the leadership structure for Des Moines, even though most of his leadership has been away from the ice so far this season.
"Jonny is a quality individual and we are thrilled for him," Head Coach Gene Reilly said. "He is an exemplary player and person and will have a great impact on Brown's program when he arrives."
Des Moines is at home this weekend Friday night and plays on the road Saturday night.
Friday night the Bucs take on Chicago and on Saturday they'll head to Lincoln for their first trip to the Ice Box this season.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Sioux City Extends Point Streak to 11 Games in OT Loss - Sioux City Musketeers
- Stars Pull off Gutsy Overtime Win over Sioux City - Lincoln Stars
- Hawks Pull Away in the End - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Des Moines Beats Chicago in Goalie Duel, 3-1 - Chicago Steel
- Muskegon Loses First Game of Two-Game Home Series with Dubuque 3-2 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Maccelli's Late Tally Gives Dubuque 3-2 Win over Muskegon - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Phantoms Win Thriller in Plymouth - Youngstown Phantoms
- Papp to Play for Team Hungary in WJC - Madison Capitols
- Forward Russell Commits to Brown University - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Gameday Preview: Storm Host Defending Clark Cup Champion Fargo Force - Tri-City Storm
- Olympic Gold Medalists to Appear at NTDP Game - U.S. National Team
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Goaltender Durham Commits to Brown University
- Gopher Commit & MN State Champion Forward Nevers Joins Bucs
- Bucs Acquire Gamblers Leading Scorer Perbix & Pick for Forward Meyer
- Two Bucs and One Affiliate Named to NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings
- Des Moines Adds Forward Fafrak and Defenseman Starikov