Forward Mauro Manotas Scores 50th Career Dynamo Goal in 2-1 Victory over Montreal Impact
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo forward Mauro Manotas scored his 50th goal for the club across all competitions in a 2-1 victory over the Montreal Impact this evening at BBVA Compass Stadium.
The Dynamo rallied for their first MLS victory of the season after Montreal midfielder Michael Azira found Saphir TaÃ¯der at the back post for the first goal of the game. TaÃ¯der finished on the volley for his second goal of the season in the 34th minute.
Academy product Memo Rodriguez equalized two minutes later from distance with a shot from outside the box for this first goal of the season. This was Rodriguez' 10th league start with the club.
Manotas scored the game-winning goal with four minutes left in regulation off a cross from Romell Quioto. The Honduran international was initially denied at the near post but collected the rebound outside the six yard box. Quioto found Manotas with a low cross at the near post for the game-winning goal.
Dynamo midfielder Tomas Martinez forced a save in the third minute of the game with a shot from outside the box that was handled by Montreal goalkeeper Evan Bush.
Eight minutes later Martinez found Rodriguez outside the box and the forward's long-range effort missed the inside of the far post.
Martinez tested his luck from distance again in the 33rd minute but Bush was well positioned at the near post to handle his shot. The midfielder forced a save with a similar effort from distance in the 55th minute.
Houston face a quick turnaround as they visit Monterrey for the return leg of their Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League quarterinal series next Tuesday, March 12, at Estadio Universitario. With the series winner determined by aggregate goals scored over the two legs, a three-goal Houston win would send the Dynamo into the semifinals. If the teams are tied on aggregate, the side with more away goals advances, meaning that a win by two would do the trick, as long as they scored three or more goals. A 2-0 Houston win would send the series to penalty kicks.
The Dynamo return to BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday afternoon to face JoaquÃ-n Ardaiz and the Vancouver Whitecaps. Tickets for Saturday's match are on sale now, starting at $24, at HoustonDynamo.com or by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL).
Houston Dynamo 2-1 Montreal Impact
MLS Regular Season, Week 2
Saturday, March 9, 2019
BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston, Texas
Team 1H 2H FT
Houston Dynamo 1 1 2
Montreal Impact 1 0 1
MTL: Saphir TaÃ¯der 2 (Michael Azira 1) 34
HOU: Memo Rodriguez 1 (Tomas Martinez) 36
HOU: Mauro Manotas 2 (Romell Quioto 1) 86
Houston Dynamo: Joe Willis; Adam Lundkvist, Maynor Figueroa, AljaÅ¾ Struna, A.J. DeLaGarza; Darwin Ceren, Boniek Garcia, Tomas Martinez (Tommy McNamara 74); Memo Rodriguez (Romell Quioto 65), Mauro Manotas, Marlon Hairston (Alberth Elis 57)
Substitutes not used: Tyler Deric, Chris Duvall, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Kevin Garcia
Total shots: 14 (Tomas Martinez 4); Shots on goal: 6 (Tomas Martinez 3); Fouls: 12 (Boniek Garcia 4); Offside: 4 (Adam Lundkvist, Marlon Hairston, Memo Rodriguez and Mauro Manotas ties with 1); Corner kicks: 6 (Adam Lundkvist, Memo Rodriguez and Romell Quioto tied with 2); Saves: 0 (N/A)
Montreal Impact: Evan Bush; Bacary Sagna, Victor Cabrera, Zakaria Diallo, Daniel Lovitz; Saphir Taider (Shamit Shome 84), Samuel Piette, Michael Azira; Orji Okwonkwo (Mathieu Choiniere 46), Ignacio Piatti ©, Maximiliana Urruti (Anthony Jackson-Hamel 80)
Substitutes not used: Zachary Brault-Guillard, Jukka Raitala, Rudy, Camacho, Clement Diop
Total shots: 7 (Saphir Taider 3); Shots on goal: 1 (Saphir Taider); Fouls: 13 (Ignacio Piatti 4); Offside: 1 (Ignacio Piatti 1); Corner kicks: 3 (Saphir Taider); Saves: 4 (Evan Bush 4)
HOU: Boniek Garcia (caution; unsporting behavior) 75
MTL: Bacary Sagna (caution; unsporting behavior) 77
HOU: Romell Quioto (caution; unsporting behavior) 77
MTL: Victor Cabrera (caution; unsporting behavior) 88
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referee 1: Kyle Atkins
Assistant Referee 2: Chris Wattam
Fourth Official: Ted Unkel
VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.
Weather: Cloudy, 79 degrees
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 9, 2019
- Earthquakes Fall 3-0 to Minnesota United FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- 'Caps fall to Real Salt Lake on controversial first-half penalty - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Tops Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Falls 2-1 in Houston - Montreal Impact
- Forward Mauro Manotas Scores 50th Career Dynamo Goal in 2-1 Victory over Montreal Impact - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, FC Dallas 2 - Saturday, March 9, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Defeats Los Angeles Galaxy 2-0 - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Iraqi International Left Back Ali Adnan on Loan - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Revolution Fall to Columbus Crew SC, 2-0, in Home Opener - New England Revolution
- Dwyer Scores as Lions Draw Chicago 1-1 in Road Opener - Orlando City SC
- CJ Sapong Scores in the 95th Minute, Fire Draws Orlando City SC 1-1 at SeatGeek Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Abdi Mohamed Signs Professional Contract; Joins Memphis 901 FC on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- LAFC Hosts Portland Timbers on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Open Visit Tucson Sun Cup with 1-1 Draw against New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27
- Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip to South Texas with 5-0 Victory over RGV FC
- Houston Dynamo Defeat UTRGV to Open Preseason Slate