Real Salt Lake Tops Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (1-0-1, 4 points) claimed its first win of the season on Saturday night, topping Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 in front of 17,096 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
MF Albert Rusnák scored his second goal of the season and GK Nick Rimando made five saves for his first shutout of the season and 145th of his MLS career as RSL opened the home slate with a victory.
RSL started the game on the front foot, maintaining possession in the attacking third to force several corner kick chances. In the 21st minute, FWCorey Baird drew a penalty kick which Rusnák easily smashed into the top corner of the net to open the scoring. As the first half drew on, RSL stayed staunch defensively, keeping Whitecaps FC at bay to take a 1-0 lead into the halftime break.
In the second half, RSL showed its defensive stability, thwarting every chance the Whitecaps had in the second 45 minutes. RSL nearly found a second goal through MF Damir Kreilach but 'Caps goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau turned the header onto the post. The Utah side saw the match out in stoppage time to claim the 1-0 victory.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake now travels to the nation's capital to face D.C. United at Audi Field on March 16.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Albert Rusnák (PK), 21st minute: After Corey Baird drew the foul inside the penalty area, Rusnák calmly dispatched the penalty kick, sending the ball into the top right corner of the net.
- Prior to the match, 'The Riot' RSL's unified supporters' group unfurled a 150'x70' tifo on the south end of the stadium, emblazoned with the words "We are the Riot; Estamos unidos."
- RSL began a new tradition after the match, planting a flag in front of the south end supporters' section, mimicking the Brian Dunseth's celebration of the first home goal in RSL history on April 16, 2005 at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- DF Justen Glad missed his second consecutive match after breaking his toe in training on February 28. FW Joao Plata is out of action this week with an ankle injury.
- Real Salt Lake is now 8-9-4 all-time against Vancouver, including a 6-1-3 record at Rio Tinto Stadium. RSL has won the last four matches at Rio Tinto Stadium against Whitecaps FC, outscoring the Canadian side 7-1.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Date: March 9, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Cloudy and 41 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 0 1
Whitecaps FC 0 0 0
RSL: Albert Rusnák (PK) 21'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Brooks Lennon, Marcelo Silva, Nedum Onuoha, Aaron Herrera; Kyle Beckerman, Everton Luiz; Jefferson Savarino (Sebastian Saucedo, 76'), Damir Kreilach (Nick Besler, 87'), Albert Rusnák; Corey Baird (Sam Johnson, 66')
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Tony Beltran, Justin Portillo, Tate Schmitt
Whitecaps FC: (4-3-3): Maxime Crepeau; Jakob Nerwinski, Erik Godoy, Doneil Henry, Victor Giro (Scott Sutter, 45'+2); Andy Rose, Hwang In-Beom, Jon Erice (Joaquin Ardaiz, 70'); Lucas Venuto (Lass, 61'), Fredy Montero, Yordy Reyna
Subs not used: Zac MacMath, Russell Teibert, Derek Cornelius, Felipe
Stats Summary: RSL / VAN
Shots: 18 / 16
Shots on Goal: 6 / 5
Saves: 5 / 5
Corner Kicks: 4 / 8
Fouls: 12 / 10
Offside: 6 / 0
VAN - Yordy Reyna (caution) 16'
RSL - Everton Luiz (caution) 41'
Referee: Drew Fischer
Assistant Referees: Claudiu Badea, Matthew Nelson
4th Official: Victor Rivas
VAR: Younes Marrakchi
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 9, 2019
- Earthquakes Fall 3-0 to Minnesota United FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- 'Caps fall to Real Salt Lake on controversial first-half penalty - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Tops Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Falls 2-1 in Houston - Montreal Impact
- Forward Mauro Manotas Scores 50th Career Dynamo Goal in 2-1 Victory over Montreal Impact - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, FC Dallas 2 - Saturday, March 9, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Defeats Los Angeles Galaxy 2-0 - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Iraqi International Left Back Ali Adnan on Loan - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Revolution Fall to Columbus Crew SC, 2-0, in Home Opener - New England Revolution
- Dwyer Scores as Lions Draw Chicago 1-1 in Road Opener - Orlando City SC
- CJ Sapong Scores in the 95th Minute, Fire Draws Orlando City SC 1-1 at SeatGeek Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Abdi Mohamed Signs Professional Contract; Joins Memphis 901 FC on Season-Long Loan - New York City FC
- LAFC Hosts Portland Timbers on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 in San Jose
- Real Salt Lake Travels to San Jose in Vital Western Conference Clash
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw with FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Faces FC Dallas on Saturday for the First Time in 2020
- Real Salt Lake Downs Portland Timbers FC 2-1