Fisher Cats Claw Back for Walk-Off Win on Wednesday
Manchester, N.H. - The New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays Double-A affiliate) scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to tie, and scored twice in the bottom of the ninth to steal a 7-6 win over the Akron RubberDucks on Wednesday at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium.
After Akron took a 6-5 lead in the top of the ninth on a home run by Andrew Calica, the Fisher Cats started the bottom of the inning with a hit by pitch. Jonathan Davis moved up when Bo Bichette walked. Then pitcher Argenis Angulo (BS, 2)(L, 1-2) fielded Gunnar Heidt's bunt and threw it away down the left field line, allowing two runs to score to give the Fisher Cats (35-23) the win.
Andrew Case (1-1) picked up the win in relief despite allowing the Calica home run.
Akron (33-26) put together four consecutive hits with one out in the top of the fourth inning to take a 3-0 lead. Mark Mathias homered, Connor Marabell singled and scored on a triple by Sam Haggerty. Daniel Salters delivered another run with his single.
The RubberDucks extended the lead to 5-0 in the top of the fifth inning. Willi Castro singled and Calica was hit by pitch. After a wild pitch, Bobby Bradley delivered a two-run double.
The Fisher Cats scored in the bottom of the fifth inning. Connor Panas walked and Patrick Cantwell ripped his third home run of the season to cut the lead to 5-2.
New Hampshire tied it with three in the top of the eighth inning. Bo Bichette singled and scored on double by Heidt. Cavan Biggio walked and Harold Ramirez doubled him in to make it 5-4. A sacrifice fly by Juan Kelly tied the game.
Jon Harris started for New Hampshire, allowing five runs in 4.1 innings with seven strikeouts. Danny Young and Zach Jackson pitched scoreless ball leading into the ninth inning.
Shao-Ching Chiang started for the RubberDucks, allowing two runs, walking one and striking out three for Akron.
Pat Cantwell, Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. each had two hits in the game for New Hampshire.
The series with the RubberDucks concludes on Thursday at 6:35 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive a House Banner commemorating our 15th Anniversary Season thanks to Northeast Delta Dental. For tickets and information, visit www.nhfishercats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 6, 2018
- Four-Run First for Curve Drives Shutout Win over Fightins - Altoona Curve
- Funkhouser Dominates in 6-1 Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Williams Deals "W"; Squirrels Even Series - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Bats Stall in Loss to Squirrels - Trenton Thunder
- McGowin Sharp in 4-0 Loss to Binghamton - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Fall to Sea Dogs, 5-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Hart Pitches a Gem in Sea Dogs' 5-1 Win vs. Bowie - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Win Behind Shaw's Riverbank Redemption - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins shutout in Altoona - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Lose 6-1 in Erie, PA - Hartford Yard Goats
- Fisher Cats Edge RubberDucks 7-6 - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Claw Back for Walk-Off Win on Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes vs. Binghamton - Game #56 - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 6th vs. Bowie - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Notes: vs. Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #58 - Rumble Ponies (31-26) at Senators (28-27) - 6:30 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Hampshire Fisher Cats Stories
- Fisher Cats Unveil Bobblehead Set: Vlad Jr., Bo Bichette, and Cavan Biggio
- Fisher Cats Unveil "Gatos Feroces" Identity for Copa De La Diversion Initiative
- Fisher Cats to Host Pregame Women in Sports Panel on April 9
- Fisher Cats Start Construction on Spectacular New Video Board for 2019
- Star Wars Night Returns to New Hampshire on July 27