Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 21 vs. Greenville (Game 45)
Please note the following New York Mets Minor League Transactions:
LHP Andrew Mitchell transferred to St. Lucie from Columbia
LHP Jake Simon transferred from Brooklyn to Columbia
Columbia Fireflies (17-27) vs. Greenville Drive (17-26)
RHP Christian James (1-4, 5.40) vs. RHP Yusniel Padron-Antilles (0-0, 7.71)
Tues., May 21, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 45
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia topped Rome, 4-2, to earn a series split. It was the final game of a week-long road stand. The Fireflies had a 4-3 record during the road trip, and have won 8 of their last 12 games.
FANTASTIC FOUR: Columbia first baseman Chase Chambers went 4-4 at the plate in Monday's victory against Rome. The Tennessee Tech alum ripped a two-out, RBI double in the first, then singled in his final three trips. Over his last 10 games, Chambers is hitting .364 with HR, 3 2B and 5 RBIs.
SHUT IT DOWN: The Fireflies bullpen flexed its muscle in Monday's win. Relievers Tylor Megill (W, 1-0), Billy Oxford (H, 1), and Jose Moreno (S, 2) combined for 4.2 innings of scoreless relief. The trio of righties allowed just one hit against a powerful Braves lineup. They also punched out five batters.
HELLO, OLD FRIEND: The upcoming series against Greenville features a battle between a pair of former teammates. Prospects Mark Vientos (#4 - NYM) and Triston Casas (#5 - BOS) played their high school ball together at American Heritage HS (FL). The Miami natives are both talented hitters, and were drafted one year apart out of high school (Vientos: 2nd '17, Casas: 1st '18).
THE 'VILLE: Columbia opens its series against Greenville on Tuesday. It will be the first of 15 meeting between the two clubs in 2019. Last season, the Fireflies had a 6-6 record against the Drive.
FOLLOW THE LAW: Keith Law, senior baseball writer at ESPN, ranked Columbia's roster as the 7th-most "Loaded Roster" in all of Minor League Baseball. Law recognized the fact Columbia's roster includes the Mets' third, fourth and fifth-rated prospects (infielders Ronny Mauricio, Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton, respectively), New York's past two second-round draft choices (RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson, Vientos) and the system's ninth-rated prospect, left-hander Thomas Szapucki (drafted in the fifth round in 2015). The roster also features 26th (Baseball America) and 27th-rated prospects Chris Viall and Christian James. The prospect rankings are according to MLB.com unless otherwise noted.
NEW STAFF: Fireflies second-year manager Pedro Lopez notwithstanding, Columbia has an entirely different coaching staff in 2019. Former big leaguer and Mets pitcher Royce Ring assumes the role as pitching coach and former Eastern League champion Luis Rivera is the new hitting coach. One-time Mets farmhand (and former player for Lopez in Binghamton in 2014) Gilbert Gomez is the team's first-ever bench coach. Daichi Arima (athletic trainer), Sam Nickelsen (strength and conditioning coach), Nicole Collins (assistant athletic trainer) and Dave Williams (mental skills coach) complete the Fireflies coaching staff in 2019.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Eight Run Second Launches Suns to 12-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Trio of Homers Not Enough in 10-7 Loss to Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Claws Beat 'Birds on Mid-Inning Attrition - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Offense Surges Late, But Falls Short to Tourists in Road Trip Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Montes Bunts Home the Game Winner - Asheville Tourists
- Errors Bite Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Walk-Off in 10th against Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Kroon Comes Through; Claws Hold off Birds for 4-2 Tuesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Big Fourth Inning Propels Fireflies to Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 21 vs. Greenville (Game 45) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 21) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Finale 4-2 over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Rise Back from Dead, Stun K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.