Big Fourth Inning Propels Fireflies to Win
COLUMBIA, SC - The Fireflies opened up the home series against Greenville in style on Tuesday with a 5-2 win at Segra Park. Down a run in the sixth, Columbia erupted for four runs and never looked back. The Fireflies have now won three straight and nine of their last 13 since falling to a franchise-worst 14 games below .500 on May 9.
After Brian Sharp and Mark Vientos both scored from third on wild pitches in the sixth inning, the Fireflies bats started cooking. First, Shervyen Newton walked. Soon enough, the Mets prospect was whizzing home and scoring on Wagner Lagrange's triple. The next batter, Hayden Senger, ripped a two-bagger which scored Lagrange.
Columbia (18-27) turned a one-run deficit into a three-run lead in the home sixth. It was a lead the Fireflies would not relinquish the rest of the way.
Columbia scored first on Tuesday when Chase Chambers smashed an RBI double in the opening frame. It was the first of his two two-baggers on the night. Greenville (17-27) later tied the score in the fourth on Kervin Suarez's run-scoring double and pulled ahead with another run in the top of the sixth.
In addition to Chambers, Sharp and Lagrange both finished with a pair of hits also.
The mound duo of Christian James (5.0 IP, 2 ER, 3 K) and Bryce Hutchinson (Win, 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER) shut down the Drive bats. Darwin Ramos (S, 1) picked up the save, too, in the ninth. The Fireflies hitters handed Yoan Aybar (L, 1-2) his first defeat of the year.
Columbia and Greenville turn around quickly and meet again at 11:05 ET on Wednesday. You can watch the action on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Eight Run Second Launches Suns to 12-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Trio of Homers Not Enough in 10-7 Loss to Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Claws Beat 'Birds on Mid-Inning Attrition - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Offense Surges Late, But Falls Short to Tourists in Road Trip Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Montes Bunts Home the Game Winner - Asheville Tourists
- Errors Bite Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Walk-Off in 10th against Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Kroon Comes Through; Claws Hold off Birds for 4-2 Tuesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Big Fourth Inning Propels Fireflies to Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 21 vs. Greenville (Game 45) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 21) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Finale 4-2 over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Rise Back from Dead, Stun K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta