'Birds Rise Back from Dead, Stun K-Town
KANNAPOLIS, NC - The Delmarva Shorebirds fought to the last man and rallied once again, stunning the Kannapolis Intimidators 4-3 on Monday night at Intimidators Stadium.
Down 3-2 in the top of the ninth, Ryne Ogren worked a four-pitch walk to lead off. Robbie Thorburn came up next and slashed an 0-2 pitch past the mound and into center for a line drive single. After a strikeout, a passed ball let Ogren and Thorburn both move into scoring position. On a 3-2 pitch, Adam Hall looped a soft liner over the drawn-in infield and into right center for a base hit, scoring both Ogren and Thorburn to put the Shorebirds (33-9) up 4-3.
The Intimidators (19-24) were no match in the ninth for Zach Matson, who struck out three straight batters looking to put it on ice.
Ryan Conroy (1-1) earned the win in relief with three scoreless one-hit innings, walking two and striking out two. Lane Ramsey (0-3) blew his second save and took his third loss, all against the Shorebirds, allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits in the ninth. Matson's save was his third of the season and second on the road trip.
Nick Horvath blasted a solo home run in the top of the first to give Delmarva an early 1-0 lead. The Intimidators answered in their half of the first. Ian Dawkins led off with a single, then after a groundout and a wild pitch Romy Gonzalez singled him home to tie it. Two more wild pitches moved Gonzalez to third, then with two down Luis Curbelo hit a line drive down the left field line that appeared to land foul but was erroneously ruled fair, resulting in an RBI double to put Kannapolis up 2-1.
Thorburn led off the top of the third with a single, then two batters later Hall managed a base hit to put two on. Cadyn Grenier came up next and singled home Thorburn to tie it at 2-2. Hall and Grenier later executed a double steal but were stranded on second and third.
After a brief 17-minute rain delay, Lenyn Sosa led off the home third with a double. After a hit batsman and wild pitch, Alex Destino lifted a sac fly to center, scoring Sosa to move the Intimidators ahead 3-2.
The Shorebirds squandered opportunities by leaving the bases loaded in the sixth and stranding a man on third in the seventh before coming to life in the ninth.
Hall finished 2-for-5 with the tying and go-ahead RBIs in the ninth for his 16th multi-hit game of the season. Thorburn managed his 12th multi-hit game, all in May, going 2-for-5 with two runs. Horvath finished 2-for-5 with a solo homer and a stolen base.
Gonzalez went 1-for-3 with a run and RBI to lead the way for the Intimidators.
Delmarva starter Hector Guance lasted five-plus innings in a no-decision, allowing three runs on six hits with one walk, three HBPs, and one strikeout. Taylor Varnell didn't factor into the decision for Kannapolis, giving up two runs on seven hits in 5.1 innings.
The win was the Shorebirds' ninth this season coming in their final at-bat. With the win Delmarva finishes the nine-game road trip at 7-2, with the only two losses coming in the back end of doubleheaders on Wednesday and Saturday.
The Shorebirds now return home for a nine-game, eight-day homestand, beginning on Tuesday night against the Lakewood BlueClaws. Grayson Rodriguez (5-0, 1.45) opens on the bump for Delmarva against Lakewood's Jhordany Mezquita (2-3, 4.88). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. with gates opening at 6:00. Tuesday at Perdue Stadium is Wag Your Tail Tuesday, presented by Concord Pet Foods & Supplies. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:50 with Will DeBoer and Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Eight Run Second Launches Suns to 12-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Trio of Homers Not Enough in 10-7 Loss to Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Claws Beat 'Birds on Mid-Inning Attrition - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Offense Surges Late, But Falls Short to Tourists in Road Trip Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Montes Bunts Home the Game Winner - Asheville Tourists
- Errors Bite Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Walk-Off in 10th against Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Kroon Comes Through; Claws Hold off Birds for 4-2 Tuesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Big Fourth Inning Propels Fireflies to Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 21 vs. Greenville (Game 45) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 21) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Finale 4-2 over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Rise Back from Dead, Stun K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Delmarva Shorebirds Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Score Shorebirds Deals on Merch and Tickets Today for Black Friday
- Shorebirds Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Bird Bucks Are Quickly Coming. Are You Ready?
- New Field Staff to Lead 2020 Shorebirds
- "A Touch of Brass" Joins O's GM Mike Elias for 2020 Shorebirds Hot Stove Banquet