Columbia Wins Finale 4-2 over Rome
ROME, GA - After nearly a week of raking the Rome offense finally slowed down on Monday afternoon as Columbia won the series finale 4-2 at State Mutual Stadium and earned a split of the four game set.
Columbia overcame another strong performance from Trey Harris, who homered for the third straight game and finished with two extra-base hits. The Braves were held to just three total hits on the day.
Once again the 1st inning would prove to be eventful as both teams put up rallies in the early going. Columbia got an RBI double from Chase Chambers to take a 1-0 edge against Rome starter RHP Jose Olague. The Braves answered with a two run homer to left-center field by Harris, taking a 2-1 lead which would hold up until the middle innings.
By the 6th, Columbia's offense was ready to break through against Olague. The tying run scored on a wild pitch and the go-ahead run came in on an RBI double from Juan Uriarte. The Fireflies added their final run in the 7th inning on an RBI single from Chambers who finished 4-4 and led the Columbia lineup in the finale.
Rome got the tying run to the plate in both the 8th and 9th innings but was unable to deliver the big hit, finishing 0-5 with runners in scoring position. The Braves left eight runners on base.
Harris went 2-3 with a homer, triple and two RBI. He was also hit by a pitch. Greg Cullen was 0-1 with two walks and was hit by a pitch. Logan Brown was 1-3 and was hit by a pitch. Olague was solid but took the loss, pitching 6 innings and allowing three runs on nine hits. He struck out six and did not issue a walk.
Rome finishes their homestand with five wins in seven games. The Braves now depart for a four game series in North Augusta, South Carolina against the Greenjackets. The series opener is scheduled for Tuesday evening at 7:05 pm from SRP Park.
Rome Braves (21-23): 2 R 3 H 0 E
Columbia Fireflies (17-27): 4 R 11 H 0 E
W: Tylor Megill (1-0)
L: Jose Olague (4-4)
S: Jose Moreno (2)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Eight Run Second Launches Suns to 12-5 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Trio of Homers Not Enough in 10-7 Loss to Greensboro - West Virginia Power
- 'Claws Beat 'Birds on Mid-Inning Attrition - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Offense Surges Late, But Falls Short to Tourists in Road Trip Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Montes Bunts Home the Game Winner - Asheville Tourists
- Errors Bite Jackets in Series Opener - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Walk-Off in 10th against Charleston - Hickory Crawdads
- Kroon Comes Through; Claws Hold off Birds for 4-2 Tuesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Big Fourth Inning Propels Fireflies to Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 21 vs. Greenville (Game 45) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 21) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Finale 4-2 over Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Rise Back from Dead, Stun K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.