Firebirds Battle the Knights in London Friday
London, Ont. - The Firebirds will visit the London Knights for the first time this season Friday night. Puck drop is set for 7:30 p.m. (ET) in front of an expected sold-out Budweiser Gardens (capacity 9,046).
London enters the contest sitting atop the Midwest Division and ranking second in the 10-team Western Conference with a record of 10-4-1-1. The Knights have won seven of their past 10 games, picked up points in eight of their last 10 and are currently on a five-game winning streak. The Firebirds have also won seven of their past 10 games. Flint's record stands at 12-6-0-0, placing them atop the West Division and in first place in the Western Conference. The Knights hold a home record of 7-2-1-0 so far this season, and the 'Birds are 4-4-0-0 in away games.
Of note, three members of the Firebirds' team were originally drafted by the London organization: Ryan Bangs, Vladislav Kolyachonok (Florida Panthers) and Emmet Pierce. Additionally, Firebirds' Head Athletic Trainer Matt Bogart is a native of London and will make his first return to his hometown behind an OHL bench.
Friday marks the first of four meetings between the two clubs this season, and the first of two games in London. All-time, Flint holds a record of 1-13-1-1 in the series. The last time these teams played was March 8 in London. That night, the 'Birds picked up their first point in Budweiser Gardens, skating to a 3 - 2 overtime defeat on the road. Ethan Keppen (Vancouver Canucks) and Hunter Holmes lit the lamp for Flint in front of a sellout crowd of 9,036 fans. Adam Boqvist (Chicago Blackhawks) led the Knights with the game-winning goal in overtime plus an assist. The Firebirds have yet to win a game at The Budweiser Gardens, going 0-7-1-0 in away contests in the series.
The Firebirds have not allowed a power-play goal in 7 of their last 9 games. In the other two, Flint only allowed 1 goal both games. The Firebirds are 27/29 on the penalty-kill in those contests.
Friday evening's contest can be heard live on the radio throughout Flint & Mid-Michigan on US 103.1 FM, online at www.us103.com or by downloading the US 103 app here. Firebirds' broadcaster Dominic Hennig will call the play-by-play action on the Flint Firebirds Hockey Radio Network. Pregame coverage will begin 30 minutes prior to puck drop at 7 p.m.
Friday's game will also be televised live in London on channel 13 / 510 (HD) for Rogers TV cable subscribers. Additionally, the game will be televised live throughout the province of Ontario on the OHL Action Pak on channel 469 for Rogers TV cable subscribers and channel 469 for Cogeco TV cable subscribers. OHL fans with cable television in Ontario can add the OHL Action Pak to their television plan to catch the Firebirds in action, home or away all season long. Along with Friday's game, 64 of the Firebirds' 68 games throughout the 2019-20 season are also scheduled to be televised live across the province of Ontario on the OHL Action Pak.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Fronts See Rangers Slip by in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Kingston Frontenacs
- Late Comeback Earns Point in 4-3 OT Loss to Storm - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Offence Brings Sting's Win Streak to an End - Mississauga Steelheads
- Firebirds Post 6-1 Victory in London Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Sting Fall to the Steelheads 6-2 in Scrappy Affair - Sarnia Sting
- Swankler Records Three Points, Otters Fall 7-6 in Overtime - Erie Otters
- Rangers Down the Fronts in a Shootout, 4-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- Late Goal Kills Comeback - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wawanesa Insurance Launches the Wawanesa Toy Drive in Partnership with the Canadian Hockey League - OHL
- Niagara IceDogs Turkey's for Tickets Campaign Collects 175 Turkeys for Community Care - Niagara IceDogs
- Peterborough Petes Players of the Week for the Week Ending November 10 - Peterborough Petes
- OHL Announces Implementation of Expanded Video Review Measures - OHL
- Sting Partner with North Kent Mutal Insurance in First Annual Sarnia Sting Toy Drive - Sarnia Sting
- Firebirds Battle the Knights in London Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Weekend Preview - Steelheads Begin Second 3-In-3 of the Season - Mississauga Steelheads
- Petes Score Three Unanswered to Overcome IceDogs - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Firebirds' Dellandrea Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week
- Firebirds Win Sunday, Earn Four-Of-Six Points on Weekend Road Trip
- Preview: Firebirds Wrap-Up Road Trip in North Bay Sunday
- Preview: Firebirds and Wolves Square-Off in Sudbury Friday
- Dellandrea Records Third-Career Hat-Trick in Thursday Victory in Barrie