Fiery Utica Performance Drives Series to Game 5
Utica, N.Y. - The Utica Comets topped the Toronto Marlies by a score of 5-2 Friday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. The win tied the series at two wins apiece.
Reid Boucher fired a wrist shot past Marlies goaltender Garret Sparks to put the Comets up 1-0 just a minute into the game. Cam Darcy and Nikolay Goldobin picked up the assists.
Tanner MacMaster extended the lead to 2-0 at the 2:55 mark of the second period. Patrick Wiercioch and Michael Chaput tallied the assists. Boucher made it 3-0 with 2:31 to go in the middle frame. Goldobin and Darcy registered the assists.
Dmytro Timashov got the Marlies on the board with a power play goal 47 seconds into the third period. Trevor Moore and Chris Mueller were credited with the assists. Michael Carcone tipped a Wiercioch shot past Sparks to make it 4-1 Comets with 17:34 to go in the third. MacMaster also assisted on the power play goal. Tyler Motte pushed the lead to 5-1 at the 12:12 mark of the third period. Cole Cassels had the lone assist. Pierre Engvall cut the lead to 5-2 two minutes later. Martin Marincin and Frederik Gauthier collected the assists.
Demko finished with 40 saves. Sparks stopped 15 shots. The Comets power play went 1-4, while the penalty kill allowed one goal in four attempts.
The Comets will return action for Game Five against the Marlies Sunday afternoon. Puck drop at the Ricoh Coliseum is at 4 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL Live.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 27, 2018
- Second Round Schedule Announced vs. Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Special Teams Leads Phantoms 4-1 Past Providence in Game 3 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Two Goals from Lindblom Lead Phantoms over P-Bruins in Game Three - Providence Bruins
- Fiery Utica Performance Drives Series to Game 5 - Utica Comets
- Hogs to Host Game 3 & 4 of Division Finals on May 9 & 11 - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Set Franchise Records in Triple-Overtime Thriller - Rockford IceHogs
- Preview: Round 1, Game 4 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jay Woodcroft Named Condors Head Coach - Bakersfield Condors
- Marlies Look to Respond in Utica - Toronto Marlies
- Hogs Outrun Wolves in Marathon Contest to Complete Sweep - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Eliminated from Calder Cup Playoffs in Triple OT - Chicago Wolves
- Grand Rapids Forces Game Five with Shutout over Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Blank Moose to Force Decisive Game 5 - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.