FC Dallas Bolsters Defense and Midfield in 2011 MLS SuperDraft
Baltimore -- (Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011) - FC Dallas strengthened its midfield and defense with three MLS SuperDraft selections, taking Stanford captain Bobby Warshaw, Louisville midfielder Charlie Campbell and defender Scott Gordon in Baltimore today.
"We were coming into the draft in a strong situation because we've got a lot of our core players returning, so it was a matter of looking for depth and looking for quality in those positions," said FC Dallas Technical Director Barry Gorman.
A Hermann Trophy semi-finalist and an NSCAA All-American, Warshaw captained Stanford as a junior and senior, leading the Cardinal in scoring three times even after moving to central defense to shore up the back line.
"Warshaw, we believe, fills a need for us either at center back or as a holding midfielder," said Gorman. "He's a very intelligent player. We like the way he plays out of the back. We really like his composure on the ball, especially in pressure situations."
A three-time All-Pac-10 first team honoree, Warshaw was one of 10 finalists for the Lowe's Senior Class Award in 2010, and he earned Pac-10 Scholar Athlete of the Year honors for men's soccer. In his Stanford career, Warshaw scored 18 goals and recorded six assists. With his help in central defense, the Cardinal allowed just 20 goals all season and amassed six shutouts in 2010.
"The most exciting part about getting drafted by FC Dallas is going somewhere where I can win and learn at the same time," said Warshaw. "Coach Hyndman and Coach Ellinger have a great record for producing talented players and playing attractive soccer. Going to FC Dallas, I couldn't be in a better position. It will be great to be able to learn from a guy like Daniel Hernandez. I will work hard and learn whatever he is willing to teach me. I love going there because of the fact that we're right there...one step away from winning the MLS Cup. It's exciting. I can't wait to get there and work hard and bring home that championship trophy. I'm not the most talented guy in the world, but I love the game and I work hard."
Campbell helped lead Louisville to the College Cup Final where the top-ranked Cardinals fell to Akron, 1-0. Campbell started 20 games for Louisville, scoring six goals and tallying two assists. Campbell transferred to Louisville following three seasons with Virginia Tech.
"Charlie is another intelligent player who can fill a couple of different positions," said Gorman.
In his sophomore season, Campbell helped the Hokies to the school's first College Cup appearance, tallying four goals and five assists in 16 starts.
"I'm ecstatic and it's a great feeling," said Campbell. "This is something I've been dreaming about since I was four years-old. I never thought this day would finally come and now that it has, I'm just really excited for the opportunity, especially with a club like FC Dallas with the success they've had over the past year. It's a great opportunity and I'm really excited to start training camp."
The Dallas side selected a big center back in Gordon with their final pick of the draft.
"Scott is very athletic, big and strong and he fills a need at the center back position," said Gorman. "Basically, he's a player that we'll look to groom and hopefully develop."
A 6'4" defender from Lynn University, Gordon earned second team All-Sunshine State honors as a senior, helping the Lynn defense to four clean sheets and tallying three goals in 16 starts. As a junior, the Florida native earned honorable mention All-Sunshine State honors.
"I was at home and I had a missed call from my coach, but before I could call him back, Dallas called and they said they had drafted me and I couldn't believe it," said Gordon. "I ran outside because my phone kept breaking up on me, and he said it like three times before I finally heard him. I guess I just couldn't believe it. It's a great team to play for and I couldn't be any happier with Dallas."
The reigning Western Conference Champions, FC Dallas opens the 2011 season on its home field at Pizza Hut Park March 19 versus the Chicago Fire. For more information or to purchase season tickets, visit FCDallas.com or call 800.FCD.GOAL (323.4625).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2011
- Soares thrilled to be joining Revs - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Make Two Selections at 2011 MLS SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Select Omar Salgado First Overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Vancouver Selects Salgado First Overall in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players and Acquire Veteran Goalkeeper Jon Conway in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Jarad Vanschaik and Allocation Money During MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Hertzog, Rooney Among Red Bulls' Four 2011 SuperDraft Picks - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Bolsters Defense and Midfield in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Sporting Kansas City Selects Three College Seniors in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Selects Kitchen and Korb in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two Defenders in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Select Nagbe, Taylor in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Steven Lenhart from Columbus Crew in Draft Day Trade - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA selects Zarek Valentin and Victor EstupiÃ±an in first round of MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Jalil Anibaba in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- #SEAvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know
- Broadcast Details for FC Dallas' Playoff Match on October 19th Confirmed
- Ricardo Pepi Called into United States U-17 National Team for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup
- FC Dallas Signs Paxton Pomykal to New Contract
- FC Dallas Clinches Playoff Berth in 6-0 Shutout against SKC