Chicago Fire Select Jalil Anibaba in 2011 MLS SuperDraft
CHICAGO, IL (Jan. 13, 2011) - With the ninth selection in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft the Chicago Fire selected Jalil Anibaba from the University of North Carolina. In his senior season, Anibaba, a 6-0, 170 pound central defender, was named a NSCAA Second Team All-American, NSCAA First Team All-Region, First Team All-ACC, in addition to being awarded the 2011 Tom Fitzgerald MVP at the 2011 MLS adidas Combine. Anibaba signed a deal with MLS prior to today's MLS SuperDraft, per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Jalil is a stout defender who will be a great addition to the Chicago Fire Soccer Club," said Fire Technical Director Frank Klopas. "His ability to play defensive soccer, distribute the ball from the back and control the back line will help us as we head into the 2011 MLS season."
Anibaba, a product of Davis, CA, joins the Fire after four seasons of college soccer at Santa Clara University and the University of North Carolina. The 22-year-old defender appeared in 85 matches, starting 84, in his college career, tallying three goals and five assists. As a senior, Anibaba was key in leading a Tar Heel defense that allowed an average of 0.71 goals against average and an appearance in the 2010 College Cup Semifinal match.
In 2009, while at Santa Clara, Anibaba anchored a defense that posted five shutouts and helped the Broncos go 3-0-2 to finish the season and tie for fourth in the West Coast Conference for wins.
The Fire will host Opening Day at TOYOTA PARK against Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, March 26 at 3:00 PM CT. Chicago Fire Season Tickets and 2011 Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Day and the Fire's second home match in 2011, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE (657-3473), via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at Chicago-Fire.com . The Men in Red will begin their 14th MLS season during "First Kick" week when they travel to Dallas to challenge Brimstone Cup rivals and MLS Cup runners up FC Dallas at Pizza Hut Park on Saturday, March 19 at 7:30 PM CT.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2011
- Soares thrilled to be joining Revs - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Make Two Selections at 2011 MLS SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Select Omar Salgado First Overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Vancouver Selects Salgado First Overall in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players and Acquire Veteran Goalkeeper Jon Conway in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Jarad Vanschaik and Allocation Money During MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Hertzog, Rooney Among Red Bulls' Four 2011 SuperDraft Picks - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Bolsters Defense and Midfield in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Sporting Kansas City Selects Three College Seniors in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Selects Kitchen and Korb in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two Defenders in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Select Nagbe, Taylor in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Steven Lenhart from Columbus Crew in Draft Day Trade - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA selects Zarek Valentin and Victor EstupiÃ±an in first round of MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Jalil Anibaba in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Dominates the Colorado Rapids in 4-1 Win
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 15, 2019
- Chicago Fire Draws Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1, Extends Unbeaten Run to Three Games
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 8, 2019
- Chicago Fire Battles Toronto FC to a 2-2 Draw at BMO Field