Real Salt Lake Acquires Jarad Vanschaik and Allocation Money During MLS SuperDraft
BALTIMORE (Thursday, January 13, 2011) - Real Salt Lake added to both its roster and its resources during today's 2011 MLS SuperDraft at the Baltimore Convention Center acquiring allocation money in a trade with Chivas USA before selecting midfielder Jarad vanSchaik with the 52nd overall selection.
With nearly the entirety of its roster returning from a record-setting 2010 campaign, Real Salt Lake focused on gaining resources with its first round selection at #14, and the club found a willing partner in recently-departed assistant coach Robin Fraser and his Chivas USA squad. Per club policy, financial details of the allocation acquisition will not be disclosed.
Real Salt Lake would keep its second pick of the day, selecting vanSchaik with the third to last selection of the day. vanSchaik, a collegiate teammate of current RSL midfielder Collen Warner for three seasons, was a four-year starter for Portland, starting 70 of his 77 appearances while tallying 14 goals and 14 assists. The bulk of his points came during his junior and senior seasons after making the switch from a holding role to the attacking midfield position, including a team-high eight tallies during his senior season last fall (16 games).
The roster building will continue for Real Salt Lake next Tuesday, January 18, when the return of the MLS Supplemental Draft - taking place over three rounds - will occur via a conference call. Just two days later, Real Salt Lake's roster will assemble for the first time in Utah, when the squad will begin to prepare for its preseason training camp, beginning at the Grande Sports World complex in Casa Grande, Ariz., on January 23.
Fans can secure their seats now for both Real Salt Lake's March 1 CONCACAF Quarterfinal Leg Two fixture against the Columbus Crew and its March 26 MLS home opener against the Los Angeles Galaxy via the "RSL 2011 2-Pack" (beginning at just $80) and the "RSL 2011 Flex 10-Pack" (beginning at $200). Both of these special ticket offers, in addition to RSL 2011 Season Ticket Packages, can be purchased online at www.RealSaltLake.com, over the phone at 801-727-2700, or in person at the Rio Tinto Stadium box office during regular business hours: 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. MT.
Real Salt Lake Head Coach Jason Kreis
On the decision to trade RSL's first pick to Chivas USA for allocation money ...
"We had a very small list of players we felt were special enough that we couldn't take money instead. We'd have to figure out how we would change our team to accommodate those players, but the list was very small, so once we got past that list we were set on taking money over anybody else. There were some good players we passed on that had potential to be good down the road, but our main objective was to keep the group together, and in order to do that we needed money."
On making the deal with his former assistant coach Robin Fraser ...
"It's a nice thing because we know each other so well, which made for a sensible negotiation. He's kind of in the exact opposite situation we are - he's got money and the ability to adapt and move, but needs some players."
On the process behind selecting Jarad vanSchaik at #52 ...
"We talked to Jarad today and to Collen Warner last night, and have had conversations with his college coach and agent over the last couple of months. It wasn't an ideal situation in that we never had the opportunity to watch him live, but we jumped through all the other hoops we typically go through with scouting players, and from all accounts he's got the potential to be a very good outside back, which is where we'll be looking at him. He's a left-footed player that has good size and speed, and we'll see if he can't make the transition for us."
Jarad vanSchaik - 52nd pick (third round) in 2011 MLS SuperDraft
On joining the professional ranks with Real Salt Lake ...
"I couldn't be more excited, especially since one of my teammates from college, Collen Warner, is there, so I'm looking forward to being reunited with him. Because of that I've been watching Real Salt Lake probably more so than any other MLS team in the past year. I feel like I know a little about the team already, so I'm definitely excited."
On whether he expected to be selected in today's SuperDraft ...
"I got a call from Coach Kreis earlier today, and he let me know that I was being considered for the final pick. I knew there was a chance of being picked, but until that time I wasn't necessarily expecting it."
Position: Midfielder Height: 6' 1'' Weight: 185 lbs. Born: December 11, 1988 in Portland, Ore. Hometown: Tualatin, Ore. Citizenship: USA College: University of Portland MLS Experience: Rookie Last Club: University of Portland (2007-2010) Pronunciation: van-SHAKE
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2011
- Soares thrilled to be joining Revs - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Make Two Selections at 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Select Omar Salgado First Overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Vancouver Selects Salgado First Overall in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players and Acquire Veteran Goalkeeper Jon Conway in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Jarad Vanschaik and Allocation Money During MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Hertzog, Rooney Among Red Bulls' Four 2011 SuperDraft Picks - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Bolsters Defense and Midfield in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Sporting Kansas City Selects Three College Seniors in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Selects Kitchen and Korb in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two Defenders in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Select Nagbe, Taylor in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Steven Lenhart from Columbus Crew in Draft Day Trade - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA selects Zarek Valentin and Victor EstupiÃ±an in first round of MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Jalil Anibaba in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update
- Real Salt Lake Tops New York Red Bulls for Season's First Victory
- Real Salt Lake Honors Chris Wingert for 10 Season with the Club
- Real Salt Lake Academy Standouts Richard Ledezma, Diran Bebekian Called to National Team Camps
- Real Salt Lake Continues 2018 MLS Campaign Saturday Evening v. New York Red Bulls