LA Galaxy Make Two Selections at 2011 MLS SuperDraft
BALTIMORE - The LA Galaxy made two selections at this afternoon's 2011 MLS SuperDraft, which was held at the Baltimore Convention Center.
With their first round selection (16th overall), the Galaxy selected Uruguayan midfielder Paolo Cardozo, who was one of three non-collegiate, international players who were selected in the SuperDraft. A veteran of Argentine soccer, the 21-year-old played for Quilmes of the Argentinean Second Division, helping them earn promotion to the First Division last season. Originally born in Montevideo, Uruguay, Cardozo moved to Argentina at the age of seven when he began playing in the River Plate academy system. He remained there until the age of 18 when he joined Quilmes, spending the last two and a half years with the club.
"I couldn't believe it. To have the LA Galaxy pick you is something very incredible," said Cardozo in Spanish. "You always hope that your hard work leads to this very moment, a big club picking you. Now it's up to me to prove to them that I'm deserving."
In the second round (34th overall) of the SuperDraft, the Galaxy selected Bell Gardens, Calif. native Hector Jimenez. A three-time First Team All-Pac 10 selection at the University of California, Jimenez had five goals and 28 assists in 75 career games with the Bears, helping them reach the NCAA Tournament three times. Jimenez, who attended Bell Gardens High School and helped lead local club team Arsenal FC to three consecutive national titles, was a member of the U.S. Under-17 National Team residency program in Bradenton, Fla. before attending Cal.
"Hector Jimenez is a good player. We actually rated him as the best right-sided player in the draft," Galaxy General Manager and Head Coach Bruce Arena said. "He's a local kid, went to the University of California and obviously we love to have those types at the Galaxy. We think he's a very good player and being a local player is a plus."
The Galaxy rounded out their involvement in the SuperDraft by trading their third round pick (50th overall) to D.C. United in exchange for United's two selections in the first round of the 2011 MLS Supplemental Draft, which will be held on Tuesday, January 18. The Galaxy now have the 3rd and 16th picks in the first round of the Supplemental Draft, as well as one second round selection (34th overall) and one third round selection (52nd overall).
That trade was the Galaxy's second of the day, having earlier acquired forward Chad Barrett from Toronto FC in exchange for future considerations.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2011
- Soares thrilled to be joining Revs - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Make Two Selections at 2011 MLS SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Select Omar Salgado First Overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Vancouver Selects Salgado First Overall in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players and Acquire Veteran Goalkeeper Jon Conway in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Jarad Vanschaik and Allocation Money During MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Hertzog, Rooney Among Red Bulls' Four 2011 SuperDraft Picks - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Bolsters Defense and Midfield in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Sporting Kansas City Selects Three College Seniors in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Selects Kitchen and Korb in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two Defenders in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Select Nagbe, Taylor in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Steven Lenhart from Columbus Crew in Draft Day Trade - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA selects Zarek Valentin and Victor EstupiÃ±an in first round of MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Jalil Anibaba in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Again Has Major League Soccer's Best-Selling Jersey
- LA Galaxy Cup Returns to Orange County Great Park
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez Named to Mexico's U-17 FIFA World Cup Roster
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party on October 20 at Dignity Health Sports Park's Legends Plaza for Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Match
- LA Galaxy to Face Minnesota United FC in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs on Sunday, October 20