Hertzog, Rooney Among Red Bulls' Four 2011 SuperDraft Picks
HARRISON, NJ (Jan. 13, 2011) â" Red Bull New York added four players at Thursday's 2011 MLS SuperDraft, held at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, MD. The Red Bulls selected Penn State University forward Corey Hertzog in the first round (13th overall), English midfielder John Rooney and North Carolina State defender Tyler Lassiter in the second round (25th and 30th, respectively), and University of Maryland midfielder Billy Cortes in the third round (38th overall).
"This is an exciting day for the organization," said Red Bulls General Manager and Sporting Director Erik Soler. "We feel we've added four quality players who will improve the depth and talent level of our squad going forward. We think that each of our selections can contribute in some way in the coming years."
A member of the 2011 MLS Generation adidas class, Hertzog led all NCAA Division 1 players in goals scored in 2010, tallying 20 goals in 22 games in his junior season. The 21-year-old Reading, PA native also added six assists, and led the nation with 46 points. He was named a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy for the country's best college soccer player, and was a NSCAA Second Team All-American selection and a First Team All-Big Ten selection. In 2009 as a sophomore, the 6-0, 172-pound Hertzog scored 11 goals and six assists in 22 matches, and led Penn State to the Big Ten Tournament Final, being named the tournament's Offensive Most Valuable Player. As a freshman, Hertzog played in 17 matches and scored two goals and two assists. In his Penn State career, Hertzog played in 61 games, starting 43, and scored 33 goals and 14 assists.
The Red Bulls selected Rooney, 20, with their second pick. The 5-10, 176-pound English midfielder played for Macclesfield Town of England's League Two from 2007-2010, making 41 appearances for the first team. During the 2009-10 season, Rooney played in 25 games, starting 14 and scoring a goal. The previous season, Rooney made 14 appearances and registered two goals. Previous to his professional career at Macclesfield Town, Rooney was a youth player at Premier League club Everton FC. John is the younger brother of Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney. He was one of six international eligible players at this year's draft.
With their third selection, New York took North Carolina State University defender Tyler Lassiter. A four year starter for the Wolfpack, Lassiter, 21, led North Carolina State with six goals and six assists in his senior season, earning him Second Team All-ACC honors. The Wake Forest, NC native started all 73 games of his collegiate career, and in 2007, was named to the ACC All-Freshman team. In four collegiate seasons, the 6-0 170-pound Lassiter registered 12 goals and eight assists.
In the third round, the Red Bulls selected University of Maryland midfielder Billy Cortes with the 38th overall pick. Cortes, a native of Mission Viejo, CA, played four years for the Terrapins, and became a regular starter over his last two seasons. In 2010, Cortes ranked fourth on the team with five goals, and added four assists while starting 22 matches. As a junior in 2009, the 5-11, 181-pound midfielder notched three goals and three assists in 21 games, 16 of which he started. In his four years at Maryland, Cortes tallied a total of 11 goals and seven assists in 71 appearances.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2011
- Soares thrilled to be joining Revs - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Make Two Selections at 2011 MLS SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Select Omar Salgado First Overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Vancouver Selects Salgado First Overall in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players and Acquire Veteran Goalkeeper Jon Conway in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Jarad Vanschaik and Allocation Money During MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Hertzog, Rooney Among Red Bulls' Four 2011 SuperDraft Picks - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Bolsters Defense and Midfield in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Sporting Kansas City Selects Three College Seniors in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Selects Kitchen and Korb in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two Defenders in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Select Nagbe, Taylor in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Steven Lenhart from Columbus Crew in Draft Day Trade - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA selects Zarek Valentin and Victor EstupiÃ±an in first round of MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Jalil Anibaba in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Fall in New England
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Two-Match Road Trip at New England
- Red Bulls Snap Three-Match Losing Streak, Tie SKC, 2-2
- Match Preview: New York Starts Two-Match Roadtrip, Begins with Sporting KC
- New York Red Bulls and Prudential Financial Sign 12 Players to Unified Team