D.C. United Selects Kitchen and Korb in 2011 MLS SuperDraft
Washington, D.C. (January 13, 2011) - D.C. United announced today that the club has selected three players in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, with University of Akron standouts Perry Kitchen and Chirs Korb joining the Black-and-Red along with University of Denver goalkeeper Joe Willis.
Selected third overall in today's SuperDraft, Kitchen comes to United following a highly successful season with Akron, in which the defensive midfielder started all 25 of the team's matches. Similarly, Korb also started 25 matches alongside Kitchen as Akron went on to claim the 2010 NCAA National Championship. Korb was selected 31st overall, followed by the 6'5" Willis, who was acquired after United sent its two first round MLS Supplemental Draft selections to Los Angeles in exchange for the 50th pick in today's SuperDraft.
"We got a great group of players today," said United Head Coach Ben Olsen. "If I had the number one Draft choice today, I would have taken Perry Kitchen. That shows how highly we rate Perry's abilities, and we think we got a steal with Chris Korb late in the second round. Chris is a player that loves to defend, and we have been really impressed with him."
General Manager Dave Kasper echoed Olsen's sentiments by stating, "Perry [Kitchen] is the total package - he's a fierce competitor, has excellent leadership qualities, and is capable of playing a number of positions." Kasper continues, "Chris Korb is a guy that we tracked all season and can play on either the right or left side [of defense], he's another guy that's extremely competitive. As for Joe [Willis], we had our eye on him today as Chad knew of him from his days in Denver, and he has great size and we wanted to give him a chance."
In only one season at the University of Akron, Kitchen accumulated several accolades for his outstanding play in the nation's leading collegiate program. In his first and only season in Ohio, Kitchen was named to the Soccer America All-Freshman First Team. The Indiana native was also named to the 2010 All-MAC First Team, finishing with six goals and one assist in Akron's championship campaign. In the 2010 College Cup, Kitchen helped Akron to advance in the tournament with long-range scoring efforts against Cal in the quarterfinal and Michigan at the semifinal stage. At the international level, Kitchen is a member of Thomas Rongen's United States U-20 side.
Korb comes to United following a three-year career at Akron after transferring from Xavier in 2007. The 23-year-old was an All-MAC First Team selection as a junior in 2009, and after his senior season in 2010 the defender was named to the All-MAC Second Team. Registering 2,208 minutes of play for the Zips in 2010, Korb started all 25 matches at fullback for Caleb Porter's side. In his college career, Korb scored two goals and compiled 13 assists.
Late in the third and final round of the SuperDraft, United sent its two first round picks in the 2010 Supplemental Draft to the Los Angeles Galaxy in exchange for LA's 50th overall selection in today's SuperDraft. With that choice, the Black-and-Red selected Joe Willis from the University of Denver. At 6'5" and 190 pounds, Willis is known for his size and ability in goal. The St. Louis native was a three-time First Team All-Conference netminder in 2008, 2009, and 2010 in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2011
- Soares thrilled to be joining Revs - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Make Two Selections at 2011 MLS SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Select Omar Salgado First Overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Vancouver Selects Salgado First Overall in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players and Acquire Veteran Goalkeeper Jon Conway in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Jarad Vanschaik and Allocation Money During MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Hertzog, Rooney Among Red Bulls' Four 2011 SuperDraft Picks - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Bolsters Defense and Midfield in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Sporting Kansas City Selects Three College Seniors in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Selects Kitchen and Korb in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Rapids Select Two Defenders in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Select Nagbe, Taylor in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Steven Lenhart from Columbus Crew in Draft Day Trade - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA selects Zarek Valentin and Victor EstupiÃ±an in first round of MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Jalil Anibaba in 2011 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Beat Colorado Rapids 3-2 on the Road
- D.C. United Announce Two Washington Spirit Matches at Audi Field
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 with Montreal at Audi Field
- D.C. United Fall to LAFC 4-0 at Audi Field
- D.C. United Announce Complimentary FloFC Subscriptions for Black-And-Red Fans in April