FC Dallas acquires Heath Pearce via allocation
FRISCO, Texas (Friday, Sept. 11, 2009) - FC Dallas General Manager Michael Hitchcock announced today that the team has signed U.S. National Team defender Heath Pearce via its #1 allocation ranking. Pearce will be added to the senior roster upon receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC). To make room for Pearce on the 24-man roster, FC Dallas waived defender Steve Purdy.
"Heath is a high quality player who can play a lot of different positions, and we are very excited to welcome him to the club," FC Dallas Head Coach Schellas Hyndman said. "We are really focusing on making our team stronger defensively, and Heath is a hard worker who can help us in that regard."
Pearce began his professional career in 2005 with FC Nordsjælland of the Danish Superliga. In his second season with FC Nordsjælland, Pearce helped the club to a fifth place finish, its highest position since being promoted in 2003. In 2007, Pearce signed with Hansa Rostock of the Bundesliga where he appeared in 31 games.
The 25-year-old Pearce has been a main stay on the U. S. National Team since 2005 earning 28 caps and recording one assist. Pearce's seven appearances in FIFA World Cup Qualifiers were the most of any U.S. player in 2008.
Pearce attended the University of Portland where he was an All-West Coast Conference honorable mention selection. He also is an alumnus of the U.S. Soccer Residency Program in Bradenton, Fla. where he played for current FC Dallas assistant coach John Ellinger.
It was also announced today that the club and forward/midfielder Alvaro "Tom" Sanchez have mutually agreed to end his contract with FC Dallas. Sanchez was signed by FC Dallas on April 3 and appeared in three games this season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2009
- Real Salt Lake and Rio Tinto to Host Three Free Youth Soccer Clinics - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA acquires goalkeeper Jon Conway and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick in pair of trades - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Bobby Burling From Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas acquires Heath Pearce via allocation - FC Dallas
- D.C. United acquires defender Lawson Vaughn - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Signs Julian de Guzman - Toronto FC
- Sounders Geared up for United Rematch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Travel To Salt Lake In Search Of Three Points On The Road - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes and San Francisco Community Leaders Come Together to Fight Malaria - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.