Chivas USA acquires goalkeeper Jon Conway and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick in pair of trades
CARSON, Calif. (Friday, Sept. 11, 2009) - Chivas USA announced today that it has signed goalkeeper Jon Conway, a nine-year MLS veteran, after acquiring the player's rights from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for a fourth-round 2011 MLS SuperDraft pick. In a separate transaction, the team acquired a third-round 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for defender Bobby Burling. Conway, 32, will be eligible for Sunday's match against the New England Revolution; per league and team policy, details of the contract were not disclosed.
"Jon is a talented, experienced goalkeeper who will provide us with depth at the position as we work toward a spot in the playoffs," said Chivas USA Head Coach Preki.
Conway joins Chivas USA after playing with the New York Red Bulls for most of the last four seasons, where he is third in club history among goalkeepers in games played (63), minutes played in goal (5,553) and saves (242), and first in goals against average (1.36 - minimum 2,000 minutes played). Conway played in San Jose from 2000-2004, playing 18 games, and at Rutgers University, where Conway earned Second Team NSCAA All-American honors in his senior year, was a two-time (1998-99) Big East Goalkeeper of the Year, and led the team to its first-ever Big East regular-season title in 1999.
In a separate transaction on Friday, Chivas USA acquired a third-round 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for defender Bobby Burling. Burling, 24, joined the Red-and-White in 2007 out of Loyola Marymount University, and played a total of 23 matches (19 starts) for the team, including three games this season.
"We'd like to thank Bobby for his dedicated service to Chivas USA," said Chivas USA Vice President of Soccer Operations, Stephen Hamilton. "We wish him the best in the next phase of his career."
Chivas USA takes on the New England Revolution this Sunday, Sept. 13 at 12:00 noon PT at The Home Depot Center. Later this month, the Red-and-White take on Chivas de Guadalajara in the ChivaClásico, to be held on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 8:00 p.m. PT at the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena. For more information, or to purchase tickets to any Chivas USA match, please visit cdchivasusa.com or call 1-877-CHIVAS-1.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2009
- Real Salt Lake and Rio Tinto to Host Three Free Youth Soccer Clinics - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA acquires goalkeeper Jon Conway and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick in pair of trades - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Bobby Burling From Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas acquires Heath Pearce via allocation - FC Dallas
- D.C. United acquires defender Lawson Vaughn - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Signs Julian de Guzman - Toronto FC
- Sounders Geared up for United Rematch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Travel To Salt Lake In Search Of Three Points On The Road - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes and San Francisco Community Leaders Come Together to Fight Malaria - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp