Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
CARSON, Calif. (Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014) - Chivas USA tallied two unanswered goals by Kris Tyrpak and Felix Borja to deliver a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over the Colorado Rapids Saturday night at the StubHub Center. With Colorado opening the scoring on John Neeskens' first-half goal, the Rojiblancos responded in the second half to clinch the season series against their conference foes and secure their second consecutive win at home.
The Red-and-White generated their first threat at going ahead in the 22nd minute when Ryan Finley found fellow forward Borja on a two-on-two breakaway in space. With his marker between him and the net, Borja's first-time attempt deflected off the defender an allowed Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin to collect the easy save.
Colorado took a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute when Charles Eloundou worked the ball into the box and laid off a short pass to Neeskens on his left. The midfielder then squared up to goal and snuck his left-footed tally inside the near post.
Chivas answered back by knocking in the equalizer in the 65th minute after bringing on a pair of offensive threats off the bench in Eric Avila and Tyrpak. With his back to goal outside the area, Tyrpak brought down a headed pass from fellow rookie Matt Dunn off his chest less than a minute after entering the contest, turned and maneuvered around a trio of defenders to get into the box and fire inside the left post for his first career goal.
The Rojiblancos continued to generate dangerous chances in their final third and came close to netting the go-ahead score in the 76th minute. After securing a clearance by Colorado, right back Akira Kaji sent in a diagonal cross into the box that was headed on frame by Dunn from eight yards out, but Irwin was able to turn away the opportunity.
Chivas eventually broke through with the go-ahead score in the 85th minute when Kaji found Borja with a well-placed cross from the right wing. As the striker made his run toward the far post, he got above the Colorado back line to drive his header past Irwin to deliver the three-point result with his second game-winner in as many weeks.
Chivas USA will now begin preparations for their road finale when they face Real Salt Lake in the final leg of the season series on Wednesday, Oct. 22, at Rio Tinto Stadium. The conference battle is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (PT) and will be televised on Time Warner Cable Deportes. The action can also be heard on ESPN Deportes Radio KWKU 1220 AM. For more information follow the club on Twitter and Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2014
- FC Dallas Clinches Playoff Berth with 2-1 Win over LA Galaxy - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Fall to FC Dallas on the Road, 2-1 - LA Galaxy
- Dynamo Knocked from Playoff Contention with 3-1 Loss to D.C. - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Clinch Spot in 2014 MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- Chivas USA Downs Rapids 2-1 - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Close Road Trip with 2-0 Loss against Real Salt Lake - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Defeats San Jose Earthquakes 2-0 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp