Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
SANDY, Utah (Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014) - Chivas USA fell in their road finale, 2-0, to Real Salt Lake Wednesday night at Rio Tinto Stadium while finishing the contest a man down. RSL got on the board with Alvaro Saborio's penalty kick in the first half and doubled their advantage in the second half on Kyle Beckerman's tally to salvage a result in the third and final leg of the season series.
The home side created the first threats of the match early on but Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy was stout between the posts to keep them off the board. In the 12th minute, Kennedy came up with a key one-handed save to deny a header on frame by Saborio from eight yards out.
Chivas answered back by trying to open the score with a free kick sent into the box by midfielder Leandro Barrera, but striker Erick Torres was unable to get a clean header on the attempt.
RSL went ahead in the 36th minute after being awarded a penalty kick a minute earlier on the end of a free kick sent into the box from the left seam. The referee deemed that Saborio was taken down from behind as he made his cut toward goal looking to get on the end of the entry. The forward then lined up and converted the opportunity by placing his right-footed shot inside the left post to give his side the 1-0 edge.
Despite playing a man down beginning in the 56th minute, the Rojiblancos continued to generate chances in their final third. In the 65th minute, Barrera worked the ball up the left flank and sent a low cross into the six-yard box intended for forward Felix Borja, but the entry was redirected by RSL's Nate Borchers. Two minutes later, Torres got into range from the right wing to get off a clean strike, only to send the ball over the crossbar.
The Claret-and-Cobalt extended their lead to 2-0 in the 74th minute when Joao Plata slotted a pass to Beckerman that put the midfielder into the box to fire his shot passed Kennedy's left and toward the back of the net.
The Goats brought on their final two subs in search of creating an offensive spark, but were held from getting on the score sheet, as RSL went on to secure the three-point result with a shutout.
Chivas USA will now have a short turnaround time to face in-state rival San Jose Earthquakes in the season finale this Sunday at the StubHub Center. The contest will mark the third and deciding meeting in the season series and will be televised on KDOC-TV LA 56 and Time Warner Cable Deportes beginning at 1:30 p.m. (PT). The action can also be heard on ESPN Deportes Radio KWKW 1330 AM. For more information follow the club on Twitter and Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 23, 2014
- No Pressure: LA Galaxy confident and relaxed ahead of Supporters' Shield-deciding clash with Seattle - LA Galaxy
- Mitch Murray, the International Man on a Mission - Colorado Rapids
- UAE Embassy and FC Dallas Foundation Dedicate New Soccer Field for Local Children - FC Dallas
- West Coast, Best Coast? Nguyen Represents a Legit MVP Candidate in the East - New England Revolution
- Oliver Larraz Nets Twice and Shines During US U-14 Training Camp - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Nitro Circus Live to Visit Toyota Stadium on May 23, 2015 - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy and AEG Invest over $15 Million Dollars into StubHub Center - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Announce 2014 Club Award Winners - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jimenez Growing into Rightback Role for Crew - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Decisions for Week 32 - MLS
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Tops Chivas USA 2-0 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp