Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
CARSON, Calif. (Sunday, Oct. 26, 2014) - Chivas USA clinched the season series over in-state rival San Jose Earthquakes Sunday afternoon at the StubHub Center on forward Felix Borja's game-winner for the 1-0 victory. With the result the Rojiblancos wrap up the 2014 campaign ahead of San Jose and the Colorado Rapids in seventh place of the Western Conference standings.
The Red-and-White created their first look at going ahead in the sixth minute when striker Erick Torres got off consecutive shots from inside the box. Torres' initial attempt was blocked by San Jose's back line and the striker followed up by firing his second off the left post. Three minutes later, Borja got into range and fired a right-footed strike from outside the box on frame, but goalkeeper Jon Busch was able to secure the threat.
Chivas continued testing the Quakes' defense when in the 18th minute, midfielder Eric Avila sent a cross from the right side intended for Borja as he made his run toward the back post in traffic. However, the Ecuador native's header was sent wide.
The Rojiblancos broke through in the 32nd minute with the tandem of Torres and Borja creating chances up top. Torres took on his marker in a one-on-one challenge from the left side near the end line to work his way into the box. The Goats' scoring leader then hit the post for the second time in the match, but Borja was positioned well to drill his follow-up shot toward the back of the net to give Chivas the 1-0 advantage.
Chivas' attack consistently got into their final third and nearly doubled the lead in the 62nd minute when Leandro Barrera played a short chip from inside the box to Torres for a header, but Busch was able to control the attempt from eight yards out.
The Goats brought on fresh legs to reinforce the midfielder in the form of Nathan Sturgis and Kris Tyrpak beginning in the 70th minute. Sturgis soon looked to link up with his forwards by sending a ball over the top to put Borja into the box, but Busch came off his line in time to meet the pass.
San Jose brought on a pair of subs of their own in search of the equalizer, but Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy and the defense were stout to go on and maintain the zero in the back and give their side the three-point result.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 26, 2014
- Red Bulls to Host Sporting Kansas City Thursday in MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC to Open Playoffs at New York on Thursday - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Will Face the Columbus Crew in Eastern Conference Semifinals - New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Wins 2014 Budweiser Golden Boot - MLS
- Crew to Host New England Revolution for First Leg of Eastern Conference Semifinals November 1 - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Announces Playoff Dates - D.C. United
- Schedule for 2014 MLS Cup Playoffs Announced - MLS
- Earthquakes Fall 1-0 against Chivas USA in 2014 Finale - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- New York's Bradley Wright-Phillips Ties MLS All-Time Single-Season Goals Record - New York Red Bulls
- Anor Lifts Crew Late - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew Announces 2014 Team Awards - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Fall to Columbus Crew in Season Finale, 2-1 - Philadelphia Union
- A bigger prize: LA Galaxy immediately shift focus to playoffs after loss to Seattle - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps blank Colorado - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Conclude Season with Third Straight Clean Sheet in Decisive Win - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas falls 2-0 to Portland Timbers FC in regular season finale - FC Dallas
- 'Caps clinch playoff spot, will play at FC Dallas on Wednesday - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Clinch MLS Cup Playoff Berth - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Mission Accomplished: Revs Keep Rolling with Victory - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp