Chivas USA Downs Rapids 2-1
CARSON, Calif. -- Despite dominating for the first hour, and leading through a first MLS goal for John Neeskens, the Colorado Rapids conceded twice in the second half to lose 2-1 at Chivas USA on their way to a 12th game without a win.
Felix Borja scored the game-winner for the second consecutive game as the Goats erased a first-half deficit to beat the reeling Colorado Rapids, 2-1, on Saturday night at StubHub Center.
Borja's heroics arrived in the 85th minute when his header off a deep cross from Akira Kaji sneaked past Clint Irwin. Borja also scored last Sunday in a 1-0 home victory against Real Salt Lake -- a result that snapped the club's 12-game winless streak.
Just moments after taking the pitch as a substitute in the 64th minute, rookie forward Kristopher Tyrpak embarked on a dizzying run through a group of Colorado players and capped the individual effort by beating Irwin from point-blank range for the equalizer. It was Tyrpak's first career MLS goal.
Neeskens also scored his first career goal and Charles Eloundou had his first career assist for Colorado, but the Rapids remained winless for the 12th consecutive game.
The Rapids, whose previous win came against Chivas USA on July 25, took the lead in the 30th minute when Eloundou sped past a defender and played a pass to a streaking Neeskens, who beat Dan Kennedy with a low shot to the near post. Colorado nearly doubled their lead in the 35th minute when former Chivas USA midfielder Carlos Alvarez fed Eloundou inside the area, but Kennedy punched away the ensuing shot.
The Rapids tested the Chivas USA backline throughout the first half, piling up 15 attempts on goal. Zat Knight had the first golden opportunity for the Rapids in the 20th minute, but his header off a set piece was swatted away by a diving Kennedy.
The Goats (8-18-6) had a chance in the 22nd minute, but Borja spoiled a pass from Ryan Finley on a two-on-one breakaway.
Chivas USA took two of three from the Rapids (8-16-8) this year, with their other victory coming in early May.
The Rapids return home to face FC Dallas on October 18, live on NBC Sports, kick-off 1 p.m MT.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2014
- FC Dallas Clinches Playoff Berth with 2-1 Win over LA Galaxy - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Fall to FC Dallas on the Road, 2-1 - LA Galaxy
- Dynamo Knocked from Playoff Contention with 3-1 Loss to D.C. - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Clinch Spot in 2014 MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- Chivas USA Downs Rapids 2-1 - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Close Road Trip with 2-0 Loss against Real Salt Lake - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Defeats San Jose Earthquakes 2-0 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Postgame Note: Los Angeles FC 3, Colorado Rapids 1
- Postgame Notes: Colorado Rapids 3, FC Dallas 0
- Postgame Note: Sporting Kansas City 2, Colorado Rapids 3
- Colorado Rapids to Host Memorial Service in Honor of Colin Clark
- Postgame Note: Toronto FC 3, Colorado Rapids 2