Sounders Geared up for United Rematch
Ten days after lifting its first cup, the Seattle Sounders FC launches its run down the stretch of the MLS regular season by returning to the scene of its biggest on-field achievement to date. Seattle visits RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., for Saturday night's match with D.C. United. Kickoff is 4:30 p.m. PT.
This marks the third meeting between the two sides. The Sounders FC (8-6-10, 34 points) defeated D.C. United in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final, 2-1, on September 2, and on June 17 United came from behind to earn at 3-3 league draw on Xbox Pitch at Qwest Field.
Four of Seattle's final six matches will be played on the road. The penultimate home game for the Sounders FC is September 19 against Chivas USA.
The Sounders FC enters the week in fourth place in the Western Conference and seventh overall in the race for the eight MLS playoff berths. United (8-5-12), currently third in the East and fifth overall, defeated Kansas City 1-0 on Wednesday night.
Seattle returns to MLS play after an idle week and winning its first trophy, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, on September 2. The offense has generated only three goals in the last seven league games, going 1-3-3 over that stretch.
The Sounders FC has earned four points in its last two away matches but those are the only points accrued since the start of August. D.C. United, involved in both CONCACAF Champions League and Open Cup play, is paying its ninth match in 28 days.
To purchase tickets to future home games, call 1-877-MLS-GOAL, visit www.SoundersFC.com, any Ticketmaster outlet or the Qwest Field Box office.
Official Sounders FC game notes for this week's match against D.C. United are available at www.SoundersFC.com/Game-Notes/2009/Releases.aspx.
Broadcast Information (all times Pacific)
Local TV: KONG 6/16 (pregame begins at 4:00 p.m.)
Local Radio: KIRO 97.3FM
Talent: Kevin Calabro and Greg Vanney
Pregame TV Talent: Pete Fewing and Cliff McCrath with Lisa Gangel
Pregame Radio Talent: Alan Hinton with Matt Johnson
Spanish Radio: Ke Buena 1210AM
Talent: Rene Aleman, Noe Menendez, Victor Hernandez
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2009
- Real Salt Lake and Rio Tinto to Host Three Free Youth Soccer Clinics - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA acquires goalkeeper Jon Conway and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick in pair of trades - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Bobby Burling From Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas acquires Heath Pearce via allocation - FC Dallas
- D.C. United acquires defender Lawson Vaughn - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Signs Julian de Guzman - Toronto FC
- Sounders Geared up for United Rematch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Travel To Salt Lake In Search Of Three Points On The Road - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes and San Francisco Community Leaders Come Together to Fight Malaria - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Eliminated from 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with 2-1 Loss to Portland
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers (Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup) - June 12, 2019
- Sounders FC Signs Six Tacoma Defiance Players to Short-Term Agreements
- Ocampo-Chavez and Rogers Called into U.S. U-23 Summer Training Camp
- Five Sounders FC Players Named to Final 23-Man Rosters for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup