Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview
SANDY, Utah (Friday, September 11, 2009) - Real Salt Lake (9-9-6, 33 pts.) will begin the true stretch run of its 2009 MLS regular season this Saturday, Sept. 12, when the Claret-and-Cobalt will welcome the Chicago Fire (10-6-8, 38 pts.) to Rio Tinto Stadium. The 7:00 p.m. MT kickoff in Sandy - presented by NAPA - will serve as the Fox Soccer Channel game of the week, with the nationally-televised broadcast beginning with pre-game coverage at 6:30 p.m. Fans can also follow the action live over the radio on K-TALK 630-AM (coverage beginning with the America First Credit Union Pre-Match Report at 6:00 p.m.) and "Ke Buena" 1600-AM. Tickets for Saturday's contest are still available and can be purchased via the internet at www.RioTintoStadium.com, or person at the Rio Tinto Stadium Box Office or the RSL Team Store, both of which will open at 10:00 a.m. MT on gameday.
Real Salt Lake enters this weekend's affair with Chicago with a 1-5-3 overall record against the Fire and a six-game winless streak against the "Men in Red," which includes a 0-1 defeat in their previous match-up this season at Toyota Park on Aug. 1, when Chicago FW Patrick Nyarko spoiled the visitors' shutout bid with a header in the 76th minute. Real Salt Lake has gone 1-2-1 against Chicago in four previous home meetings at Rice-Eccles Stadium, with Saturday's contest at Rio Tinto Stadium making the Fire the last current team in Major League Soccer to visit RSL's new digs in Sandy.
G.O.A.L.S. for Greatness to Host "Kickin' Cancer Community Day" in Conjunction with Saturday's Contest
The G.O.A.L.S. for Greatness charitable organization and its supporters are proud to present a full day of activities in conjunction with Real Salt Lake's contest against the Chicago Fire this Saturday, during which RSL will be donning its full white uniforms in the name of cancer awareness. The "Kickin' Cancer Community Day" at Rio Tinto Stadium will begin bright and early with the 2009 Kickin' Cancer Run, a 3K Walk and 5K Run event that will start at Rio Tinto Stadium at 8:00 a.m. MT, with registration beginning a half-hour earlier at 7:30 a.m. Racers interested in signing up can register online for $25 through Sept. 10 by clicking here or clicking on the link at www.goalsforgreatness.com/blog. Registration will also be available the morning of the event for $30. All proceeds garnered from the race will go directly to G.O.A.L.S. for Greatness, with racers receiving a special Kickin' Cancer Community Day T-Shirt as part of the registration fee.
Following the race, the "Kickin' Cancer Community Day" will take place on the Stadium's East Lawn beginning at 9:00 a.m. and leading all the way into that evening's Carnival Real pre-game festival. The Boutique will include a number of items for sale and events for the whole family, including face painting, carnival games, a dunk tank (featuring assistant coach Jeff Cassar at 12:00 p.m. and General Manager Garth Lagerwey at 3:00 p.m.), bounce houses, and more, while carnival refreshment favorites such as sno-cones, and cotton candy will be available in addition to food from Little Caesar's, Coldstone Creamery and Burgers N' Bones. In addition, Mountain Star will be on site to take blood donations, while DKMS will be on hand to screen donors who would like to be added to the nationwide bone marrow donor list in the name of Marcia Williams.
For more information on all the events surrounding the first "Kickin' Cancer Community Day," please visit the "Events" page of the G.O.A.L.S. for Greatness website at www.goalsforgreatness.com/blog.
"RSL on the Air": Sept. 12 v. Chicago Fire
TV: Fox Soccer Channel - Coverage begins with MLS on FSC Pre-game Show at 6:30 p.m.
Radio: K-TALK 630 AM (English) - Coverage begins with America First Credit Union Pre-match Report at 6:00 p.m.
"Ke Buena" AM-1600 (Spanish)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2009
- Real Salt Lake and Rio Tinto to Host Three Free Youth Soccer Clinics - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA acquires goalkeeper Jon Conway and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick in pair of trades - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Bobby Burling From Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas acquires Heath Pearce via allocation - FC Dallas
- D.C. United acquires defender Lawson Vaughn - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Signs Julian de Guzman - Toronto FC
- Sounders Geared up for United Rematch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Travel To Salt Lake In Search Of Three Points On The Road - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes and San Francisco Community Leaders Come Together to Fight Malaria - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Hires Tom Spall as Academy Director
- Real Salt Lake Drops 3-0 Result to LAFC in U.S. Open Cup
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Bout against LAFC Tuesday at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Real Salt Lake Foursome Invited to U.S. U-23 Camp
- Real Salt Lake MF Albert Rusnak Called in to Slovakian National Team