D.C. United acquires defender Lawson Vaughn
Washington, D.C. (September 11, 2009) - D.C. United announced today the club has acquired defender Lawson Vaughn. Vaughn will serve as a replacement for defender Greg Janicki, who has been placed on the Disabled List due to back spasms.
"Lawson is a player who has several years of experience playing in our League," said General Manager Dave Kasper. "He will provide us with an additional option in the back line and we look forward to having him on board."
Vaughn spent three and a half seasons with Chivas USA, before being waived in August. He played in a total of 48 League games (40 starts), with a goal and three assists, during his time in LA. Last season, injuries limited Vaughn to only seven games (all starts). In 2007, the defender cemented his place in Chivas' roster, starting 22 of 24 games and tallying a goal and two assists. His first MLS goal was during Chivas' 2-2 tie against D.C. United on 9/6. Vaughn was originally selected by Chivas USA in the third round (25th overall) of the 2006 Supplemental Draft and saw time in 17 games (11 starts) as a rookie.
His senior season at the University of Tulsa, Vaughn started all but one game, scored a goal and assisted on two others. In 2004, he started all 23 games his team played, recording two goals and five assists. Vaughn played his first two years of college at the University of South Carolina, tallying a goal and two assists in 18 matches his junior year. During his freshman season in 2003, he started all 16 games he saw time in and dished out an assist.
Greg Janicki originally signed with United on September 12 of last year, after completing a loan with the team. This season, the defender has played in seven games (five starts) in League play. In all competitions, Janicki has played in 12 games (ten starts).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2009
- Real Salt Lake and Rio Tinto to Host Three Free Youth Soccer Clinics - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA acquires goalkeeper Jon Conway and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick in pair of trades - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Bobby Burling From Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas acquires Heath Pearce via allocation - FC Dallas
- D.C. United acquires defender Lawson Vaughn - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Signs Julian de Guzman - Toronto FC
- Sounders Geared up for United Rematch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Travel To Salt Lake In Search Of Three Points On The Road - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes and San Francisco Community Leaders Come Together to Fight Malaria - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United to Play the Colorado Rapids on February 29 in 2020 MLS Home Opener at Audi Field
- D.C. United Announce 16 Players Under Contract for 2020 MLS Season
- St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands Tour Presented by Events DC Summary
- Live Stream Information for Match against Bermuda National Team in Exhibition Match Presented by Events DC
- D.C. United Announce Traveling Roster for Upcoming Friendly against the Bermuda National Team Presented by Events DC