Earthquakes and San Francisco Community Leaders Come Together to Fight Malaria
From September 13-19, 2009, the United Nations Foundation's Nothing But Nets will host a series of events in the Bay Area as part of its national effort to raise awareness about malaria, a leading killer of refugees and children in Africa. The United Nations Foundation, United Methodist Church, San Jose Earthquakes, Golden State Warriors, the Union for Reform Judaism, Mayor Newsom and the San Jose City Council will co-host several events including a rally in Justin Herman Plaza.
The rally will be held on Wednesday, September 16 from 5:00- 5:30 p.m. at Justin Herman Plaza, 1 Market Street, Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA. San Jose Earthquakes defender Jason Hernandez and Community leaders will come together to sign a large 'message of hope' which will accompany the life-saving bed nets distributed to refugees in Africa. Supporters will gather around a large canvas banner to write down their personal notes for the refugees receiving the bed nets. If more than 200 individuals sign the 'message of hope' a generous donor will contribute 1,000 bed nets to protect displaced families in Africa.
Why: Mayor Newsom is declaring this week Nothing But Nets week in San Francisco; to raise awareness about Malaria's massive impact. Malaria infects more than 500 million people around the world each year, killing more than 1 million. The disease is a leading killer of children and refugees in Africa, where 90 percent of malaria deaths occur. Every 30 seconds, a person in Africa dies from a malaria infection. Bed nets are an easy and cost-effective method of preventing the spread of the disease.
Who: Adrianna Logalbo, Director, Nothing But Nets Bishop Thomas J. Bickerton, The United Methodist Church Bishop Warner Brown Jr., The United Methodist Church
Jason Hernandez, Major League Soccer, San Jose Earthquakes
Antonio Ribeiro, Major League Soccer, San Jose Earthquakes
Tuesday, September 15
6:30 - 8:30 pm - United Methodist Church Faith Dinner
(Taylor Memorial United Methodist Church, 1188 12th Street, Oakland, CA)
The California-Nevada Conference of The United Methodist Church will host a dinner bringing together clergy, lay leaders, and youth to speak about the importance of malaria prevention and the role of the faith community as a leader in this effort. Nothing But Nets Champion Bishop Thomas J. Bickerton and Bishop Warner Brown, Jr. will speak on the role of the United Methodist Church in the fight against malaria.
Thursday, September 17
4:00 - 5:30 pm - Nothing But Nets Youth Soccer Clinic
(Ocala Middle School, 2800 Ocala Avenue at Capitol Express Way, San Jose, CA)
Nothing But Nets will join together with the San Jose Earthquakes, MLS W.O.R.K.S and a local youth group to hold a soccer clinic and malaria workshop which will engage the youth on this global health issue. At the same time, the youth group will have the opportunity to work with San Jose Earthquakes players to enhance their soccer skills.
Friday, September 18
8:00pm Nothing But Nets Night with the San Jose Earthquakes
(Buck Shaw Stadium, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA)
The San Jose Earthquakes will host a Nothing But Nets night during their home game against the Colorado Rapids. The Earthquakes will highlight the Nothing But Nets campaign with a PSA on the jumbotron, a half-time contest, and by encouraging fans to visit the Nothing But Nets table on the concourse and join the fight against malaria.
Saturday, September 19
9:00am- 3:00pm Nothing But Nets Joins Futbolito
(Independence High School, 1776 Educational Park Drive, San Jose, CA)
The San Jose Earthquakes will be hosting a 4 v 4 soccer tournaments for local area residents. Nothing But Nets will bring Mozzie the Mosquito, our bed net display, give-aways and activities for children.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2009
- Real Salt Lake and Rio Tinto to Host Three Free Youth Soccer Clinics - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA acquires goalkeeper Jon Conway and 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick in pair of trades - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Bobby Burling From Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas acquires Heath Pearce via allocation - FC Dallas
- D.C. United acquires defender Lawson Vaughn - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Signs Julian de Guzman - Toronto FC
- Sounders Geared up for United Rematch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Travel To Salt Lake In Search Of Three Points On The Road - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes and San Francisco Community Leaders Come Together to Fight Malaria - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes to Face LAFC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on June 20
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round
- Earthquakes to Face La Liga Side Real Valladolid on July 16
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 10, 2019
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Month