Fayetteville Woodpeckers Clinch Playoff Berth in Inaugural Season
Following their victory over the Carolina Mudcats on Thursday night, the Fayetteville Woodpeckers have reason to celebrate, as the Woodpeckers have punched a ticket to the Carolina League playoffs in their inaugural season on Hay Street. A season highlighted by record breaking pitching performance coupled with the best offense in the Carolina League, the Woodpeckers have a date with the First Half Champion Down East Wood Wood Ducks starting September 4th.
"Qualifying for the Carolina League playoffs is the first step towards our goal of repeating as Carolina League champions," said Mark Zarthar, President of the Fayetteville Woodpeckers. "Reaching the postseason despite the promotion of 16 players is a testament to the strength of our Astros' front office for building a deep farm system and our Woodpeckers' coaching staff for maximizing the potential of our young players."
After sitting 10 games under .500 and 4 1/2 games out of first place in the final week of July, the Woodpeckers have not lost consecutive games since dropping three-straight contests at the start of the month. It was an August highlighted by some of the best individual performances in the young franchise's history, including a 13-strikeout outing from Luis Garcia, a two-home run game by Scott Manea, a wild walk-off hit-by-pitch, and two separate four-game winning streaks.
As the playoff berth for Fayetteville only encompasses a potential wild card berth, the Woodpeckers still have the opportunity to win the second half in the south division outright. Fayetteville will have a massive chance to preview the playoffs properly, as the Woodpeckers will try to win the second half title over the course of a five-game series with the same Down East Wood Ducks that Fayetteville will face in the opening round of the Carolina League Playoffs.
Tickets for the remaining five games of the regular season, along with all five potential playoff games at Segra Stadium are available to purchase at FayettevilleWoodpeckers.com, in person at the BB&T Box Office or over the phone at (910) 339-1989. The schedule for the opening round of the Carolina League Playoffs can be found below:
Wednesday, September 4th - Game One vs. Down East, Segra Stadium, 6:00PM First Pitch, 5:00PM Gates
Thursday, September 5th - Game Two vs. Down East, Segra Stadium, 6:00PM First Pitch, 5:00PM Gates
Friday, September 6th - Game Three at Down East, Grainger Stadium, 7:00PM First Pitch
Saturday, September 7th - Game Four at Down East, Grainger Stadium, 6:00PM First Pitch (If Necessary)
Sunday, September 8th - Game Five at Down East, Grainger Stadium, 1:00PM First Pitch (If Necessary)
The Fayetteville Woodpeckers are the Advanced Single-A affiliate of the 2017 World Champion Houston Astros and play in their Inaugural Season at beautiful Segra Stadium in downtown Fayetteville. Segra Stadium, a $40 million state-of-the-art sports and entertainment venue, features space for over 5,200 fans, natural grass, a 25x70 LED video scoreboard, six luxury suites, four field boxes, the premium AEVEX Veterans Club level, Healy's Bar and outdoor party deck, a kid's zone, and more. With a rich history of baseball in the city of Fayetteville and Cumberland County, the Woodpeckers are thrilled to write a new chapter with their inaugural campaign on Hay Street. Fans are encouraged to visit FayettevilleWoodpeckers.com to purchase tickets, learn more about the team, and find out about upcoming events and promotions at the ballpark. Fans may also reach the Woodpeckers by visiting the BB&T Box Office in front of Segra Stadium, calling (910) 339-1989, or emailing [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Mudcats Held Scoreless in 5-0 Home Finale Loss to Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
- Fitzgerald Blast Edges Dash 1-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Corredor's Bomb Drives P-Nats to 5-1 Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Keys Can't Close the Gap - Frederick Keys
- Fayetteville Woodpeckers Clinch Playoff Berth in Inaugural Season - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Wood Ducks Double Up Keys In Home Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Stiever Logs Quality Start in Home Finale Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynch Deals as Hillcats Fall in Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 29 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Four 2019 Hillcats Named to Arizona Fall League Roster - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 29 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 29 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 29 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Five Former Pelicans to Represent Cubs in Arizona Fall League - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fayetteville Woodpeckers Stories
- Woodpeckers 2021 Full & Half Season Memberships on Sale Tuesday, October 13
- Woodpeckers Transform Ballpark to 'The Links at Segra Stadium'
- Segra Stadium to Host 2nd Annual 1 Memorial Stair Climb
- Woodpeckers Crack Top 25 in 2019 Merchandise Sales
- Woodpeckers 2020 Season Cancelled Due to COVID-19 Pandemic