Wood Ducks Double Up Keys In Home Finale
Kinston, N.C. - The Down East Wood Ducks raced past the Frederick Keys, 6-3, Thursday to earn a split in their four game series, and wrap up the home slate in the regular season.
With the victory, the Wood Ducks (36-28, 86-48) become the all-time winningest Advanced-A affiliate in Rangers history, eclipsing the win mark set by the Port Charlotte Rangers in 1990.
The Woodies started out strong. Julio Pablo Martinez led off the home first by lifting his 12th home run of the season off the video board in right-center go put Down East ahead, 1-0. He went on to enjoy at four-hit night.
Frederick (24-39, 53-79) took the lead by taking advantage of a couple of errors in the fourth inning. Ben Breazeale reached at first when Sal Mendez (win, 7-2) dropped the throw, covering, and then one batter later, Cole Billingsley reached on a ball under the glove of Tyler Depreta-Johnson at shortstop. Later in the inning Robbie Thorburn came through with a two run double to give the Keys their lone lead of the ballgame, 2-1.
Down East was quick to respond. Yohel Pozo ripped a leadoff double to center in the home fourth, and two batters later, Bubba Thompson split the gap in left-center with a two-bagger to tie the score at 2-2. Yanio Perez followed with an RBI single up the middle to give Down East the lead back, and Martinez then capped the scoring with another single up the middle to make it a 4-2 lead.
Mendez pushed across a run with four walks in the fifth, but was able to battle through his control difficulties to strand the bases loaded. He gave up three runs (one earned) on three hits, walked five, and struck out three. He finishes the regular season with a league-best 2.37 ERA.
The Woodies plated some insurance in the sixth. Depreta-Johnson reached on a one-out single, and then traded places with Martinez after a fielder's choice. Sam Huff then worked a walk, and Curtis Terry followed with a two-run double just inside the right field foul line to make it 6-3.
Brenan Hanifee (loss, 9-10) gave up six runs on 11 hits, walked two and struck out one on the night for Frederick.
Jefferson Medina (save, 6) came out of the bullpen and worked around two sixth inning walks on his way to four scoreless innings of work.
The Woodies finish out the regular season with five games in four days against the Fayetteville Woodpeckers at Segra Stadium, beginning Friday at 7 p.m. The broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps. The Wood Ducks will return to Grainger Stadium for Game Three of the Divisional Round of the playoffs Friday, September 6. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com or call (252) 686-5172.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Mudcats Held Scoreless in 5-0 Home Finale Loss to Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
- Fitzgerald Blast Edges Dash 1-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Corredor's Bomb Drives P-Nats to 5-1 Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Keys Can't Close the Gap - Frederick Keys
- Fayetteville Woodpeckers Clinch Playoff Berth in Inaugural Season - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Wood Ducks Double Up Keys In Home Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Stiever Logs Quality Start in Home Finale Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynch Deals as Hillcats Fall in Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 29 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Four 2019 Hillcats Named to Arizona Fall League Roster - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 29 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 29 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 29 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Five Former Pelicans to Represent Cubs in Arizona Fall League - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year