Stiever Logs Quality Start in Home Finale Loss
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Jonathan Stiever earned his 10th quality start with the Dash this season on Thursday, but the Salem Red Sox held on for a 1-0 victory in front of 6,812 fans in the 2019 home finale at BB&T Ballpark.
In his 12th start with Winston-Salem (31-34, 69-60), Stiever (6-4) provided another strong outing. The former Indiana University star allowed just four hits while striking out six Salem (38-28, 63-70) hitters against two walks. However, Stiever was outdueled by Red Sox starter Enmanuel DeJesus (9-9).
Making his 24th start of the year for Salem, DeJesus tossed six scoreless frames and allowed just three hits. The left-hander struck out six Dash hitters, while surrendering just one walk.
The only run of the ballgame came in top of the third inning. Leading off the frame, Salem shortstop Ryan Fitzgerald belted a solo homer the opposite way over the left field wall to make it 1-0 Red Sox.
After DeJesus departed, Rio Gomez and Andrew Schwab combined to hold Winston-Salem scoreless in the final three frames. Thursday's loss eliminated the Dash from playoff contention in the 2019 season.
Winston-Salem begins its final road series of the season on Friday night against the Lynchburg Hillcats. Left-hander Taylor Varnell (1-2, 4.02 ERA) will take the hill for the Dash. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast and the TuneIn Radio App. Pregame coverage commences at 6:15 p.m
While the 2019 home slate has ended for the Dash, tickets are now available for the first-ever Dash City Rocks! Concert at BB&T Ballpark on Saturday, September 28. The concert will feature alternative rock acts Sister Hazel, Vertical Horizon and Emerson Hart of Tonic. For tickets and more information, call 336-714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Mudcats Held Scoreless in 5-0 Home Finale Loss to Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
- Fitzgerald Blast Edges Dash 1-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Corredor's Bomb Drives P-Nats to 5-1 Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Keys Can't Close the Gap - Frederick Keys
- Fayetteville Woodpeckers Clinch Playoff Berth in Inaugural Season - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Wood Ducks Double Up Keys In Home Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Stiever Logs Quality Start in Home Finale Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynch Deals as Hillcats Fall in Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 29 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Four 2019 Hillcats Named to Arizona Fall League Roster - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 29 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 29 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 29 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Five Former Pelicans to Represent Cubs in Arizona Fall League - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash Nominated for MiLB's John H. Johnson Award
- Johnson, Vaughn Named to Premier12 Roster
- Dash's Bugno Honored as Winston Under 40 Leadership Award Recipient
- Winston-Salem to Host MiLB Innovators Summit in 2020
- Sports Business Journal Names Winston-Salem as Ninth-Best Minor League Market