Lynch Deals as Hillcats Fall in Series Finale
Lynchburg, Va. - A day after shutting out the Wilmington Blue Rocks, the Lynchburg Hillcats got a taste of their own medicine as Wilmington bested Lynchburg in the series finale 4-0.
Lynchburg (29-35, 61-70) breaks the stretch of seven consecutive games decided by three runs or fewer against the Blue Rocks (36-30, 80-55) in the loss.
In the second inning of the game, the Blue Rocks took the lead on a solo homer by MJ Melendez for the catcher's ninth blast of the campaign. That gave Wilmington a 1-0 edge.
The Blue Rocks piled on in the third. Tyler Hill got aboard with a one-out single. Nick Pratto followed him up with a double to put two in scoring position. Cristian Perez then knocked in a pair with a single of his own, pushing the Wilmington advantage to 3-0.
Colby Schultz punched a one-out single to get on base in the fourth. Michael Gigliotti walked and Kyle Kasser singled to load the bases. Brewer Hicklen then swatted a fly ball to center field, a sacrifice fly that scored Schultz from third to extend the Blue Rocks lead to 4-0, which they would hold for the rest of the game.
Kirk McCarty (Loss, 3-7) surrendered four earned runs on nine hits in 3.2 innings of work in the start for the Hillcats. Felix Tati spun 3.1 shutout frames while Skylar Arias and Jonathan Teaney each worked a scoreless inning.
Daniel Lynch (Win, 5-2) fired six shutout frames in the start for the Blue Rocks. Josh Dye tossed two blank innings while Tad Ratliff worked a scoreless ninth.
The Hillcats begin their final series of the Carolina League season on Friday when the Winston-Salem Dash come to town for a four-game set. Lynchburg will send right-hander Juan Mota (3-3, 3.68) to the mound while the Dash have yet to announce their starter for the series opener. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.
Friday's game will be Margaritaville Night at City Stadium with a Jimmy Buffett cover band and an Aloha Jersey Auction as well as a sunglasses giveaway courtesy of High Peak Sportswear. Homestand highlights also include Sparkling Saturday, and Sandlot Sunday. Saturday's game will have the final fireworks show of the season at City Stadium.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Mudcats Held Scoreless in 5-0 Home Finale Loss to Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
- Fitzgerald Blast Edges Dash 1-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Corredor's Bomb Drives P-Nats to 5-1 Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Keys Can't Close the Gap - Frederick Keys
- Fayetteville Woodpeckers Clinch Playoff Berth in Inaugural Season - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Wood Ducks Double Up Keys In Home Finale - Down East Wood Ducks
- Stiever Logs Quality Start in Home Finale Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynch Deals as Hillcats Fall in Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 29 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Four 2019 Hillcats Named to Arizona Fall League Roster - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 29 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 29 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 29 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Five Former Pelicans to Represent Cubs in Arizona Fall League - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.