Faris scores seventh goal of 2019, 10th goal of Steel FC career in setback
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Bethlehem Steel FC ran into a Tampa Bay Rowdies team that was motivated and determined to end the match early. Despite being down most of the match, the Boys in Blue continued to fight until the very end for a final of 6-1 from Al Lang Stadium.
Steel FC fought off an onslaught of Tampa Bay attacks to stay level until the 20th minute. The Rowdies' Juan Tejada pressured Ben Ofeimu and Todd Morton deep into the six-yard box that forced a mistake and own goal from Ofeimu. It started to pile on from there, with Sebastián Guenzatti, Kwadwo Poku and Andrew Tinari all getting their names on the score sheet before the end of the half. Lucky Mkosana and Afrim Taku both added themselves to that mix in the second half as substitutes. Before Mkosana and Taku scored their goals, a penalty kick was awarded to the Steel after a handball by a Rowdies' defender. Faris converted the kick for Steel FC's only goal in the match, but brought renewed energy and fight nonetheless. The Steel fought until the end, but Tampa Bay proved too powerful on the night as the match ended 6-1 in favor of the hosts.
On a night that seemed bleak in the end for the Steel, there were some positives to come out of the match. Faris' goal last night was his seventh of the season and 10th all-time for the club. He also passed fellow striker Michee Ngalina (six) as Steel FC's leading goalscorer in 2019 with his seventh tally. Last night also saw the return of Saed Díaz to USL Championship regular-season action. Díaz had been out for some time following an injury picked up while on international duty with Panama's U-20 squad ahead of the FIFA U-20 World Cup. The appearance was his first for the club since a 3-3 draw at Loudoun United FC (May 3), as the forward picked up 13 minutes and won one foul against the Rowdies.
The Steel hit the road again next weekend for a match against Memphis 901 FC on Saturday, September 28 (8:00 p.m. ET | AutoZone Park | Memphis, Tenn. | ESPN +).
Bethlehem Steel FC 1 - Tampa Bay Rowdies 6
Al Lang Stadium (St. Petersburg, Fla.)
Saturday, September 21, 2019
Venue: Al Lang Stadium, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Referee: Elvis Osmanovic
Assistant Referees: Nick Balcer; Justin Howard
Fourth Official: Alyssa Nichols
Weather: 82 degrees and clear
TBR - Ben Ofeimu (Own Goal) 20'
TBR - Sebastián Guenzatti (Malik Johnson) 24'
TBR - Kwadwo Poku (Leo Fernandes) 40'
TBR - Andrew Tinari (Malik Johnson) 45+2'
BST - Faris (Penalty Kick) 69'
TBR - Lucky Mkosana (Malik Johnson) 71'
TBR - Afrim Taku (Leo Fernandes) 90+2'
TBR - Tarek Morad (caution) 42'
BST - Walter Cortés (caution) 54'
BST - Chavany Willis (caution) 65'
TBR - Lucky Mkosana (caution) 74'
Bethlehem Steel FC: Todd Morton; Walter Cortés ©, Cole Turner, Ben Ofeimu, Nathan Harriel; Chavany Willis (Danny Flores 74'), Zach Zandi; Axel Picazo (Shanyder Borgelin 63'), Issa Rayyan; Faris, Michee Ngalina (Saed Díaz 77')
Substitutes not used: Ben Martino; Yomi Samuele Scintu
Tampa Bay Rowdies: John McCarthy; Caleb Richards, Shawn Barry, Tarek Morad; Leo Fernandes, Dominic Oduro (Jordan Doherty 82'), Andrew Tinari (Lucky Mkosana 59'), Kwadwo Poku, Malik Johnson (Afrim Taku 73'); Juan Tejada, Sebastián Guenzatti ©
Substitutes not used: Macklin Robinson; Mohamed Kone, Jaime Siaj, Zach Steinberger
Bethlehem Steel FC forward Faris scored his seventh goal of the season in last night's match. The tally allows him to regain control and the Steel's sole scoring leader in 2019, with Philadelphia Union forward Michee Ngalina just behind with six. It was also the Cameroonian forward's 10th all-time goal for the club, having scored three in 2018.
Philadelphia Union Academy midfielder Axel Picazo started for the Steel against the Tampa Bay Rowdies. Picazo has now made three starts in 14 appearances and has scored one goal for Steel FC in 2019.
Saed Díaz made his first appearance for Steel FC since the club's match at Loudoun United FC on May 3. The Panamanian forward played 13 minutes as a substitute in Last night's match and won one foul after recovering from a knee injury that he picked up earlier this year.
Midfielder Issa Rayyan led the Steel attack last night with two shots (one on target), while defender Walter Cortés made a game-high four tackles. Midfielder Zach Zandi was key in distribution, finishing the match with a 90.0% passing accuracy.
Bethlehem Steel FC next travels to take on Memphis 901 FC on Saturday, September 28, at 8:00 p.m. ET (8:00 p.m. ET | AutoZone Park | Memphis, Tenn. | ESPN +).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 22, 2019
- Lights FC Fall at Austin on Sunday Night Futbol - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Pick up Point on the Road After 0-0 Draw at OKC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Stuns Tulsa Late - Orange County SC
- Rittmeyer, Battery Claim Southern Derby Cup against North Carolina FC - Charleston Battery
- Boys in Green Fall to Ottawa on the Road - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Narrowly Defeated in Charleston - North Carolina FC
- Hadji Barry Hat Trick Lifts Fury over Hartford - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris scores seventh goal of 2019, 10th goal of Steel FC career in setback - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Zorros Stun Phoenix Rising to Clinch First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 Following Wild Finish in Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home and Move into Play-Off Contention - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls to Rio Grande Valley FC 3-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Toros Back in the Win Column with Victory over Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Hounds Play Man Down, Draw Nashville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Roughnecks Fall to OC in Extra Time - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Memphis 901 FC Runs Winning Streak to Four Matches - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Charleston Battery
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Ottawa Fury FC
- Selmir Miscic breaks the record as the youngest goalscorer for Steel FC in loss