Real Monarchs SLC Falls to Rio Grande Valley FC 3-1
EDINBURG, Texas - Real Monarchs SLC (12-10-7, 43 points) fell 3-1 to Rio Grande Valley FC at H-E-B Park on Saturday night.
FW Damian German scored the lone Monarchs goal just seconds after coming on the field. Current RSL Academy player DF Bobby Pierre made his debut for Real Monarchs, playing the full 90 in the loss.
The contest started quietly as each side worked to fall into the rhythm of the game, trading possession with neither side getting a strong opportunity on goal. The stalemate broke in the 32nd minute when Rio Grande Valley FC was awarded a penalty kick, which Jesus Enriquez converted to give the home side a 1-0 lead. MF Luis Palma nearly found the equalizer just before the end of the break when he rocketed a shot towards goal, but was denied by Michael Nelson's diving save. Palma got another opportunity that rebounded off the post, but RGV would hold on to its lead going into the break.
While Real Monarchs started out the second half on the front foot, putting in pressure in the attacking third, Rio Grande Valley would ultimately find another goal through Eric Bird as he took a shot through traffic to find the side netting. RGV would further its lead in the 76th minute when Michael Salazar linked with Enriquez to find gaps in the Monarchs defense and get 1-on-1 with GK Evan Finney. Before the final whistle, the Monarchs began to come alive as German tapped in a shot just seconds after coming onto the field after MF Jack Blake sent in a freekick to the middle of the penalty area. The Monarchs weren't able to get find another goal and the match ended 3-1.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs SLC continues on the road trip as it heads to Nevada to play Reno 1868 FC. The match-up is scheduled for next week on Saturday, September 28 where kickoff from Greater Nevada Field is set for 7:00 p.m MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
RGV: Jesús Enriquez (PK), 32nd minute: After RGVFC earned a penalty opportunity, Enriquez took to the spot and converted the kick to give his side a lead in the 32nd minute.
RGV: Eric Bird (Michael Salazar), 56th minute: Salazar took the ball down the left-hand side of the pitch before laying off the ball to Bird at the top of the box. Bird took his time before firing a shot through traffic, finding the bottom right corner of the net for the second RGV goal of the night.
RGV: Michael Salazar (Jesús Enriquez), 76th minute: Salazar and Enriquez linked up with a quick give and go as the two found the gaps in the Monarchs defense to get Salazar in one-one-one against Evan Finney. Salazar slotted it in to the far post and extend the RGV lead to three.
SLC: Damian German (Kalen Ryden, Jack Blake), 82nd minute: Just seconds from coming onto the pitch, German found his goal from a Monarchs freekick. Blake fired the shot to the far post where Ryden headed the effort back center to the feet of German, who took the opportunity to tap the ball into the back of the net.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
RGV: Michael Nelson, 42nd minute: As the Monarchs began finding its rhythm and putting pressure on the RGV goal, MF Luis Palma rocketed a shot in towards goal, which Nelson came up big with a long dive to deflect out and protect his side's lead.
- The Real Monarchs lineup featured three current academy players with DF Bobby Pierre starting, playing for 90 minutes while Christian Olivares and Alejandro Silva were on the bench.
- FW Damian German tallied his third goal of the season with the lone Monarchs goal of the evening.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC at Rio Grande Valley FC
Date: September 21, 2019
Venue: H-E-B Park; Edinburg, Texas
Weather: 88 degrees with clear skies
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 0 1 1
Rio Grande Valley FC 1 2 3
RGV - Jesús Enriquez (Penalty), 32'
RGV - Eric Bird (Michael Salazar), 56'
RGV - Michael Salazar (Jesus Enriquez), 76'
SLC - Damian German (Kalen Ryden, Jack Blake), 82'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): Evan Finney; Kalen Ryden, Noah Powder, James Moberg (Cristian Calix, 26'), Bobby Pierre; Luis Arriaga, Jack Blake, Sam Brown Luis Palma (Julian Vázquez, 73'), Maikel Chang; Kyle Coffee (Damian German, 80')
Subs not used: Christian Olivares, Lionel Etoundi, Alejandro Silva
Rio Grande Valley FC (4-2-3-1): Michael Nelson; Andrew Samuels, Sam Junqua, Kyle Adams, Conor Donovan; Kevin Rodríguez (Deshane Beckford, 66'), Jesús Enríquez, Nico Lemoine (Victor Garza, 87'), Isidro Martínez (David Cabrera 82'), Eric Bird; Michael Salazar
Subs not used: Nicolas Corti, Zach Jackson, Carlos Small, Robert Castellanos
Stats Summary: SLC/RGV
Shots: 13 / 7
Shots on Goal: 3 / 4
Saves: 1 / 2
Corner Kicks: 3 / 1
Fouls: 14 / 11
Offside: 3 / 1
SLC - Jack Blake (Caution) 55'
RGV - Nico Lemoine (Caution) 58'
SLC - Bobby Pierre (Caution) 72'
SLC - Maikel Chang (Caution) 83'
SLC - Noah Powder (Caution) 85'
Referee: Michael Radchuk
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Weed, Mark Novosel
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 22, 2019
- Lights FC Fall at Austin on Sunday Night Futbol - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Pick up Point on the Road After 0-0 Draw at OKC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Stuns Tulsa Late - Orange County SC
- Rittmeyer, Battery Claim Southern Derby Cup against North Carolina FC - Charleston Battery
- Boys in Green Fall to Ottawa on the Road - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Narrowly Defeated in Charleston - North Carolina FC
- Hadji Barry Hat Trick Lifts Fury over Hartford - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris scores seventh goal of 2019, 10th goal of Steel FC career in setback - Philadelphia Union II
- Zorros Stun Phoenix Rising to Clinch First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 Following Wild Finish in Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home and Move into Play-Off Contention - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls to Rio Grande Valley FC 3-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Toros Back in the Win Column with Victory over Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Hounds Play Man Down, Draw Nashville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Roughnecks Fall to OC in Extra Time - FC Tulsa
- Memphis 901 FC Runs Winning Streak to Four Matches - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.