Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 Following Wild Finish in Fresno
Phoenix Rising's historic winning streak came to an end following a 2-1 loss to Fresno FC on the road. The club's streak, the longest winning streak in American professional soccer history, ends at 20 matches.
WHAT TO KNOW
Phoenix Rising's historic winning streak ends at 20 matches.
Forward Junior Flemmings notches his 14th goal of the season.
Phoenix Rising's magic number to clinch the overall No. 1 seed in the USL Championship Playoffs is four.
Both clubs battled to a scoreless draw after the first 45 minutes of play and 20 minutes into the second half. But Fresno's Qudus Lawal broke the scoreless draw with a goal in the 68th minute.
Just ten minutes later, Phoenix Rising equalized. Off a quick restart following a foul, forward Junior Flemmings got to the end of a long ball into the box. He chested the pass down in front of himself, then swiftly beat the keeper with a right-footed strike.
The even scoreline didn't last long. Moments after the equalizing goal, Phoenix Rising was called for a penalty in the box. Fresno's Jaime Chavez calmly converted his penalty kick for the eventual game-winner.
But the match didn't end without some drama. Phoenix Rising was awarded two penalties following the Chavez goal. In the 86th minute, Solomon Asante's kick to the right of Fresno goalkeeper C.J. Cochran was smothered. Three minutes into stoppage time, Asante's second penalty was deflected by a Cochran fingertip before slamming the right post and away from the net.
Phoenix Rising remains on the road next week as the club travels to Albuquerque for a showdown with New Mexico United on Saturday, September 28th. The match will air live on Your PHX CW (channels 6 & 61.1) with kickoff at 6:30 p.m.
FRESNO FC 2-1 PHOENIX RISING FC
FRS: 68', 20-Qudus Lawal
PHX: 78', 7-Junior Flemmings (41-James Musa)
FRS: 83', 9-Jaime Chavez (PK)
FRS: 40', 2-Zachary Ellis-Hayden (caution)
PHX: 75', 13-Amadou Dia (caution)
FRS: 75', 20-Qudus Lawal (caution)
FRS: 77', 15-Hiroki Kurimoto (caution)
PHX: 81', 24-Mustapha Dumbuya (caution)
FRS: 85', 3-Elijah Martin (caution)
FRS: 5-Michael Daly (caution)
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 3-A.J. Cochran (84', 22-Ben Spencer), 4-Corey Whelan, 24-Mustapha Dumbuya; 41-James Musa, 19-José Aguinaga (66', 27-Kevon Lambert), 8-Peter-Lee Vassell (80', 21-Joey Calistri); 7-Junior Flemmings, 9-Adam Jahn, 20-Solomon Asante
Subs not used: 1-Carl Woszczynski, 2-Douegui Mala, 14-Jason Johnson, 15-Joey Farrell
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 22, 2019
- Lights FC Fall at Austin on Sunday Night Futbol - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Pick up Point on the Road After 0-0 Draw at OKC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Stuns Tulsa Late - Orange County SC
- Rittmeyer, Battery Claim Southern Derby Cup against North Carolina FC - Charleston Battery
- Boys in Green Fall to Ottawa on the Road - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Narrowly Defeated in Charleston - North Carolina FC
- Hadji Barry Hat Trick Lifts Fury over Hartford - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris scores seventh goal of 2019, 10th goal of Steel FC career in setback - Philadelphia Union II
- Zorros Stun Phoenix Rising to Clinch First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 Following Wild Finish in Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home and Move into Play-Off Contention - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls to Rio Grande Valley FC 3-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Toros Back in the Win Column with Victory over Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Hounds Play Man Down, Draw Nashville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Roughnecks Fall to OC in Extra Time - FC Tulsa
- Memphis 901 FC Runs Winning Streak to Four Matches - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Rising Advances to USL Championship Final with 4-2 Win in Penalties
- Western Conference Final Tonight vs. El Paso
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes
- Rick Schantz Resumes as Phoenix Rising FC Head Coach
- Rising Advance to Western Conference Finals with 5-4 Win in Penalties