Rittmeyer, Battery Claim Southern Derby Cup against North Carolina FC
The Charleston Battery took three points and reclaimed the Southern Derby Cup against North Carolina FC in a 2-1 win on Sunday afternoon at MUSC Health Stadium.
Tah Brian Anunga scored his second goal of the season to give the Battery a 1-0 lead in the 44th minute. Anunga was a dominating presence in the midfield all match and was awarded for his efforts with a brilliant individual goal just before halftime. Anunga picked up a pass near midfield and started his powerful run sidestepping North Carolina midfielder Viktor Igbekoyi and retaining possession against a challenging Aaron Guillen. The ball took a slightly favorable bounce and Anunga was through on goal with only Alex Tambakis to beat. Anunga curled a beautiful shot around Tambakis from just inside the left corner of the area just minutes before the halftime whistle.
It was a strong first-half performance from the boys in Black and Yellow, but it was North Carolina who started the second half on the front foot. Nazmi Albadawi equalized four minutes after the break after a spell of attacking play from North Carolina. DJ Taylor played the crucial pass, chipping a controlled ball in towards Taylor who had stationed himself on the penalty spot. It was a bouncing ball that Taylor struck well and beat Joe Kuzminsky who was positioning himself to make a save.
There always seems to be late drama between Charleston and North Carolina and today was no exception. Charleston looked dangerous on the counter-attack and North Carolina were full of confidence which set-up a wild finish that may very well have kept the Battery's playoff hopes alive. Nico Rittmeyer scored his second goal of the season and his second goal in as many matches in the third minute of stoppage time. Kyle Nelson, who put himself in dangerous attacking positions throughout the match, found Rittmeyer at the near post and the former College of Charleston star made no mistake beating Tambakis at the death.
"It feels amazing," Rittmeyer said after the match. "I got my first one last week and that's given me so much confidence heading into the final stretch of the season." With the win, the Battery find themselves back within a point of Birmingham and a trip to MSU Park to take on the New York Red Bulls II on Friday night. "We turned one point into three this afternoon," coach Anhaeuser said. We've got a difficult match against New York next week and we'll need to recover and be ready to get three points against the Red Bulls."
Charleston will play their next two matches on the road, which include a massive match against Birmingham on October 5th, before returning to MUSC Health Stadium for three straight home matches to close out the regular season. Tickets are on sale for all three matches and can be purchased online or by calling (843) 971-GOAL.
CHARLESTON: Kuzminsky, Nelson, Mueller, van Schaik (YC 89'), Paterson, Marini (Rittmeyer 63', goal 90 +2'), Candela (Guerra 78'), Anunga, Piggott (Higashi 85'), Bosua, Lewis
Substitutes: Breno, Woodbine, Kelly, Higashi, Guerra, Svantesson, Rittmeyer
NORTH CAROLINA: Tambakis, Taylor (YC 64'), Duvernay, Igbekoyi, Guillen, Smith, Perez (Rennicks 90'), Albadawi (goal 49'), Speas, Miller (Chester 78'), Ewolo (Kristo 78')
Substitutes: MacLeod, Comsia, Wapiwo, da Luz, Chester, Kristo, Rennicks
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 22, 2019
- Lights FC Fall at Austin on Sunday Night Futbol - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Pick up Point on the Road After 0-0 Draw at OKC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Stuns Tulsa Late - Orange County SC
- Rittmeyer, Battery Claim Southern Derby Cup against North Carolina FC - Charleston Battery
- Boys in Green Fall to Ottawa on the Road - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Narrowly Defeated in Charleston - North Carolina FC
- Hadji Barry Hat Trick Lifts Fury over Hartford - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris scores seventh goal of 2019, 10th goal of Steel FC career in setback - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Zorros Stun Phoenix Rising to Clinch First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 Following Wild Finish in Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home and Move into Play-Off Contention - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls to Rio Grande Valley FC 3-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Toros Back in the Win Column with Victory over Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Hounds Play Man Down, Draw Nashville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Roughnecks Fall to OC in Extra Time - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Memphis 901 FC Runs Winning Streak to Four Matches - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- Battery Clinch Postseason Spot After Dominant Display
- Time Change: Charleston Battery V Bethlehem Steel FC
- Battery Strengthen Playoff Hopes, Eliminates Memphis in 2-0 Win
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun
- Battery Hold Birmingham to Scoreless Draw