Zorros Stun Phoenix Rising to Clinch First Playoff Berth in Franchise History
FRESNO, Calif. - Fresno FC clinched its first-ever trip to the playoffs Saturday night, delivering a smashing upset of top-ranked Phoenix Rising FC with a 2-1 victory in front of 4,523 fans at Chukchansi Park.
It was a tight contest as both sides had four shots, but none of which finished on target in the first half.
Phoenix eventually had the first attempt on target, as Junior Flemmings tested goalkeeper CJ Cochran at the 67th minute, but Cochran was able to block it away.
Moments later, Fresno struck first on the counter, taking the lead at the 68th minute after substitute Qudus Lawal - eight minutes after coming on to the pitch - found enough space to move through two Phoenix defenders and fire one past Phoenix goalkeeper Zac Lubin.
The lead would last just 10 minutes, as James Musa's free kick from near the center circle found Flemmings in the box, where he slotted his to make things level.
The drama was saved for the final 20 minutes, however, as Los Zorros were awarded a penalty kick at the 81st minute after Mustapha Dumbuya fouled Devann Yao in the box, setting up forward Jaime Chávez to convert it for his club-leading 12th goal of the season.
The lead was nearly struck down, not once, but twice, as Phoenix Rising FC was awarded two penalties in the final 10 minutes. The first attempt at 85th minute saw Solomon Asante's shot stopped low by Cochran who dove to his right. Five minutes later, Asante switched his sides, shooting right but Cochran guessed correctly again, getting enough of a fingertip to push Asante's shot off the post.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: CJ COCHRAN, GOALKEEPER
Cochran recorded four saves on the night including two massive penalty stops to end Phoenix's record-winning streak at Chukchansi Park, and help Fresno clinch its first playoff berth in franchise history.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 22, 2019
- Lights FC Fall at Austin on Sunday Night Futbol - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Pick up Point on the Road After 0-0 Draw at OKC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Stuns Tulsa Late - Orange County SC
- Rittmeyer, Battery Claim Southern Derby Cup against North Carolina FC - Charleston Battery
- Boys in Green Fall to Ottawa on the Road - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Narrowly Defeated in Charleston - North Carolina FC
- Hadji Barry Hat Trick Lifts Fury over Hartford - Ottawa Fury FC
- Faris scores seventh goal of 2019, 10th goal of Steel FC career in setback - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Zorros Stun Phoenix Rising to Clinch First Playoff Berth in Franchise History - Fresno FC
- Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 Following Wild Finish in Fresno - Phoenix Rising FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home and Move into Play-Off Contention - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result on the Road to El Paso Locomotive FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls to Rio Grande Valley FC 3-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Toros Back in the Win Column with Victory over Real Monarchs - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Hounds Play Man Down, Draw Nashville, 0-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Roughnecks Fall to OC in Extra Time - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Memphis 901 FC Runs Winning Streak to Four Matches - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview
- Fresno FL Issues Statement in Response to Comments Made by City of Fresno Mayor Lee Brand and Councilmember Miguel Arias
- Fresno FC Drops Road Match at El Paso
- Zorros Fall 2-1 at San Antonio