Explorers Sweep Goldeyes at Home
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes fell 6-2 to the Sioux City Explorers at Shaw Park on Sunday afternoon.
Tied at two in the top of the fifth, a two-out RBI single to centre from Nate Samson scored Daniel Jackson and gave the Explorers the go-ahead (and game-winning) run.
The Explorers jumped to an early start, scoring two runs in the top of the first. Michael Lang hit a leadoff single and advanced to third on a hit-and-run single from Nate Samson. A wild pitch from Goldeyes starting pitcher Alex Boshers put both runners in scoring position. Dean Green swung on the first ball pitched and lined a base-hit to centerfield that scored both Lang and Samson.
The Fish tied up the game in the fourth. Josh Mazzola hit a leadoff single. He was driven in on a towering home run Grant Heyman.
After their go-ahead run in the fifth, the Explorers added to their lead in the eighth. With the bases loaded, Jose Sermo scored on a groundout from Dexture McCall.
In the ninth, the Explorers made it a 5-2 game when Green drew a bases loaded walk, forcing in Luis Durango. On a line drive by Jay Baum to right field, Lang scored the final run of the game. Josh McAdams made an impressive throw to Tyler Baker, who tagged Samson at the plate to save a run.
Explorers starting pitcher Jason Garcia picked up the win, allowing two earned runs on seven hits through six and a third innings. Boshers took the loss for the Fish, allowing three earned runs on seven hits through six and a third innings.
The Goldeyes now head on the road and begin a three-game series against the Wichita Wingnuts beginning tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. The Fish return home to play their final homestand of the regular season on Mon. Aug. 27, where they face the St. Paul Saints and Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes , or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 19, 2018
- Canaries Come from Behind for Road Win over RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- You Can Sing in the Rain But Not Play Ball - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Sweep Wingnuts with 4-2 Win - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Squander Four-Run Lead in Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Explorers Sweep Goldeyes at Home - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wichita Offense Held in Check Again - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Announce Transactions
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park