Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 7, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes ended their 2019 season with a 3-1 defeat to the Portland Timbers at Providence Park on Sunday afternoon. The Quakes finished the season with a 13-16-5 record.
After 30 minutes of play, the Quakes trailed 1-0 but forward Chris Wondolowski netted an equalizing goal in the 39th minute. The Timbers then scored a pair of unanswered goals in the second half.
Wondolowski recorded 15 goals this season, finishing in a tie for fifth most in MLS and most by an American player.
Midfielders Cristian Espinoza and Jackson Yueill were each credited with an assist on Wondolowski's goal. Espinoza recorded 13 assists in his debut season, ranking sixth among all MLS players in 2019.
TEAM SPECIFIC - SEASON RECAP
The Quakes finished the season with a 13-16-5 record, eighth place in the Western Conference. San Jose more than doubled their points (44 to 21) and more than tripled their wins total (13 to 4) from 2018.
San Jose recorded a total of 595 shots in 2019, setting a new single-season club record. The total ranks second in MLS history behind only LAFC's 621 (2019). The club also set a club record with 227 corner kicks, most in MLS this season.
From the Spot
The Quakes were awarded just one penalty kick in 2019, fewest in MLS. No other team attempted fewer than three penalty kicks.
San Jose had two players with 10+ assists for the first time since 1997 (Cristian Espinoza - 13; Magnus Eriksson - 10).
PLAYER SPECIFIC - SEASON RECAP
Chris Wondolowski finished with 15 goals, tied for fifth most in MLS and most among Americans. Wondolowski's 15 goals are his fifth most in a single season and most since 2015 (16). He extended his own MLS record to 10 consecutive seasons with 10+ goals. He also broke Landon Donovan's career goals record (145) and currently has 159 to his credit.
Between the Posts
Daniel Vega was one of 10 players, and four goalkeepers, in MLS to start all 34 matches for their team. He was also one of just seven players to play all 3,060 minutes. Among all goalkeepers, Vega ranks eighth in saves (108) and tied for eighth in wins (13). His 108 saves are the most by a Quakes keeper since 2014 (Jon Busch - 137).
Cristian Espinoza finished with 13 assists, sixth most in MLS, and five game-winning assists, tied for third most in MLS. His 13 assists are the most by a Quakes player since 2012 (Marvin Chavez - 13).
Testing the Keeper
Vako (110) and Cristian Espinoza (95) finished fourth and eighth league-wide in total shots taken, respectively. The duo each got 36 shots on target, tied for ninth across MLS.
Magnus Eriksson became the first Earthquakes player with 6+ goals and 10+ assists in a single season since 2005 (Dwayne De Rosario). Eriksson also drew 68 fouls, eighth most in MLS and fourth most in the Western Conference.
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC registered their seventh shutout of the season in a scoreless draw against El Paso Locomotive FC on Saturday night at Greater Nevada Field.
Saturday's match marked 1868 FC's final regular-season match at Greater Nevada Field and Quakes goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski recorded nine saves to collect his fourth shutout in 2019, his second in Reno's last three home matches.
The Quakes' trio of Marcinkowski, Kevin Partida and Siad Haji were all featured in the Starting XI for 1868 FC. Midfielder Gilbert Fuentes also entered the match as a replacement for Partida in the 72nd minute.
Reno are third in the Western Conference standings, just two points behind second-place Fresno FC (56). 1868 FC will close their regular-season schedule with a two-match road trip, starting with a rivalry showdown against Las Vegas Lights FC on Saturday, Oct. 12. Reno defeated Las Vegas 4-0 in the first Silver State Cup match of 2019, which took place at Greater Nevada Field on June 1.
Saturday's match at Cashman Field is slated for 7:30 p.m. PT and will be live streamed on ESPN+.
The San Jose Earthquakes Boys' Academy faced Mustang Soccer Club, FC Golden State and De Anza Force over the weekend.
The U-13s and the U-14s defeated Mustang Soccer Club 2-1 and 3-1, respectively. The U-15s earned a 5-2 victory over FC Golden State. The U-19s recorded 4-0 shutout win over FC Golden State, but the U-17s were defeated 1-0.
The U-15s tied 2-2 against De Anza Force and the U-17s picked up a 1-0 win.
The next set of matches for the Boys' Academy will be on Saturday, Oct. 19 when they host Sacramento Republic FC at Evergreen Community College. Details on the Boys' Academy full season schedule can be accessed here.
The Girls' Academy hosted the rival LA Galaxy in a match presented by adidas' Three Stripe Live program. Over 1,000 fans were in attendance at Avaya Stadium on Saturday night to witness the U-16s beat LA (2-1) with a goal in stoppage time.
The Girls are back in regular-season action on Saturday, Oct. 12 and Sunday, Oct. 13 when they face Reign Academy and Beach Futbol Club, respectively.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 7, 2019
- Toronto FC and D.C. United Kick-Off Time Changed - Toronto FC
- Time and Broadcast Update for Match against Toronto on October 19 - D.C. United
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m. - Atlanta United FC
- UPDATE: Kickoff for Revolution's Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match at Atlanta United Moved to 1:00 p.m. on October 19 - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez Named to Mexico's U-17 FIFA World Cup Roster - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 7, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Forward and Golden Boot Winner Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Update: October 7 - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party on October 20 at Dignity Health Sports Park's Legends Plaza for Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Match - LA Galaxy
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Portland Timbers Forward Brian Fernandez Voluntarily Enters MLS SABH Program for Assessment - MLS
- Houston Dynamo Forwards Named to Audi MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Montreal Impact's Possible Opponents in CONCACAF Champions League Are Known - Montreal Impact
- Auston Trusty Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC to Host LA Galaxy in Round One of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs - Minnesota United FC
- 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Times Announced for New York City FC - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC's Luis Diaz and Eloy Room Receive International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Revolution to Face Atlanta United FC in Round One of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs - New England Revolution
- Atlanta United Set to Host New England Revolution October 19 - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Parts Ways with James O'Connor - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy to Face Minnesota United FC in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs on Sunday, October 20 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Portland Timbers in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs - Real Salt Lake
- Single-Match Tickets for Sounders FC's First Match of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Go on Sale Tomorrow at 2:00 PM PT - Seattle Sounders FC
- Win Or Go Home: Matchups and Broadcast Schedule Set for New Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Philadelphia Union To Begin Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs On Sunday Afternoon - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-1 Win over San Jose Earthquakes - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 29, 2020
- Quakes score twice late to earn first win over LAFC
- Earthquakes Provide 74-Day Impact Report for Pledge 74
- Earthquakes Ready for Home Cooking after Brutal Loss
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Earthquakes Stadium