Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 27, 2022
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Last Saturday's California Clasico between the San Jose Earthquakes and LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium was rescheduled to September 24 after Stanford University experienced a power outage due to an equipment failure caused by the Edgewood Fire.
The Earthquakes return to action on Sunday, July 3 when they host Chicago Fire FC at PayPal Park. The match will kick off at 6 p.m. PT and be broadcast live on NBC Sports California, KNBR 1050 (English), and 1370 KZSF (Spanish).
The Quakes are also being represented internationally by two Homegrown players, Cade Cowell and Niko Tsakiris, who are competing with the United States U20 National Team at the Concacaf U20 Championship. The U.S. is competing in the Quarterfinals tomorrow vs. Costa Rica and would clinch a spot in the 2023 FIFA U20 World Cup with a victory. Should the U.S. advance to the Final of the tournament, they would also clinch a spot in the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris.
San Jose Earthquakes vs. Chicago Fire FC All-Time
MLS Regular Season: 12-16-11
Home: 9-6-5 (30 GF, 24 GA)
Away: 2-10-6 (18 GF, 33 GA)
All-Time Scoring: San Jose - 48, Chicago Fire FC - 57
Last Game vs. Chicago
Chicago Fire FC 0 - 2 San Jose Earthquakes; July 19, 2020; ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla.
NEXT GAME VS. CHICAGO FIRE FC (7/3)
The Quakes have won their last two MLS matches against Chicago Fire FC (W 4-1 on May 18, 2020; W 2-0 July 19, 2020).
The Earthquakes defeated Chicago Fire FC 2-0 in their last matchup at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex on July 19, 2020 as part of the MLS is Back Tournament. Cristian Espinoza and Chris Wondolowski each scored to give San Jose the shutout win.
Chicago in 2022
Chicago Fire FC holds a 3-8-5 record this season (14 pts.), occupying 14th place in the Eastern Conference.
Strong at Home
Since interim head coach Alex Covelo has taken the reins, San Jose is 3-0-1 in four home matches. Sunday's match will be the first match at PayPal Park since May 22.
California Clasico Rescheduled Following Power Outage at Stanford University
The California Clasico featuring the San Jose Earthquakes and LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium, originally scheduled to be played Saturday, June 25, has been rescheduled to Saturday, September 24. Stanford University experienced a power outage due to an equipment failure caused by the nearby Edgewood Fire.
All tickets purchased for the match will carry over to the future date. Tickets will be eligible for a refund for 30 days at the original point of purchase. More information about the rescheduled date, including kickoff time and broadcast information, will be announced later.
Audi, Bleacher Report and MLS Debut Season 3 of The ACADEMY Featuring San Jose
Audi, along with Bleacher Report and Major League Soccer, announced last Wednesday the return of the four-part, all-access documentary series, THE ACADEMY, with an all-new youth development academy of future stars in the spotlight - the San Jose Earthquakes Academy. The series provides in-depth, behind-the-scenes coverage of the next generation of soccer stars on and off the field as they compete to join the ranks of MLS professional athletes.
Washington DC to host 2023 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target
Major League Soccer announced last Thursday that Washington, D.C. will host the 2023 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target on July 19 at Audi Field, home of DC United. The opponent for Major League Soccer's showcase event will be announced later.
THIS WEEK IN EARTHQUAKES HISTORY
A look back on important moments in Quakes history that took place between June 27 - July 3.
June 30, 2012 - Earthquakes Host First California Clasico at Stanford Stadium
The San Jose Earthquakes defeated the LA Galaxy 4-3 in front of 50,391 fans at Stanford Stadium. San Jose scored three unanswered goals to erase a 3-1 deficit to earn the come-from-behind victory.
EARTHQUAKES II UPDATE
Earthquakes II defeated Whitecaps FC 2 3-2 last Friday at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, British Columbia. The win sees Quakes II earn their third consecutive victory. Rudy Castro, who scored two goals for Quakes II, now leads the team with five goals.
Earthquakes II will now host Houston Dynamo 2 on Friday, July 1. Kickoff from PayPal Park is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. PT and the match will be streamed live on MLSNEXTPro.com.
QUAKES ACADEMY UPDATE
The Quakes Academy is currently competing in MLS NEXT Cup postseason tournament featuring a single-elimination format. The Quakes' U17s defeated the Barca Residency Academy 2-0 on Sunday and will now face Orlando City SC in the Round of 16 on Monday, June 27 at 3 p.m. PT. The Quakes' U15s were eliminated with a 3-0 defeat to NYCFC in the Round of 32 on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 27, 2022
- Breaking New Ground: Abe Rodriguez Makes Club History as Youngest Rapids Goalkeeper with Debut against Portland - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field the Place to be for Holiday Weekend on July 1 & 3 - Columbus Crew SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 27, 2022 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Hany Mukhtar Named Major League Soccer's Player of the Week Pres. by Continental Tire for Week 16 - Nashville SC
- Vote for Leo: Campana's 2022 MLS All-Star Case - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week Presented by Continental Tire for Week 16 - MLS
- Charlotte FC Midfielder Alan Franco Departs Club on Loan - Charlotte FC
- Vassilev and Duke Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Sebastián Driussi Named to MLS Team of the Week - Austin FC
- Jaroslaw Niezgoda and Bill Tuiloma Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 16 - Portland Timbers
- Houston Dynamo FC Defender Adam Lundkvist Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Signs Forward Gareth Bale - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami CF Acquires $75,000 in General Allocation Money from LAFC - Inter Miami CF
- Canadian Championship Final Set for Tuesday, July 26 at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Brooks Lennon to Miss 6-8 Weeks with Knee Injury - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Five Points: Tinnerholm Returns - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Hire Adin Brown as Goalkeeper Coach
- Earthquakes Announce 2023 Preseason Schedule
- Earthquakes Select Midfielder Michael Baldisimo in Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft
- Earthquakes to Participate in 2023 Coachella Valley Invitational
- Earthquakes Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2023 MLS Season