Earthquakes Announce List of Players Available For MLS Expansion Draft
SAN JOSE, Calif. The San Jose Earthquakes announced today the list of protected and unprotected players available for the league's 15th team, Seattle Sounders FC, to select on the 2008 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft. The draft will take place Wednesday, November 26 at 10 a.m. PT. Seattle Sounders FC, will begin to take shape following the 10-round draft.
Each of the 14 teams that competed in MLS during the 2008 season were allowed to protect 11 players leaving all others unprotected, and four teams will not have a player taken in the expansion draft. Seattle may not claim more than one player from any given team in MLS,
The Earthquakes protected the following players:
Alvarez, Arturo- midfielder
Cannon, Joe - goalkeeper
Cochrane, Ryan - defender
Corrales, Ramiro - midfielder
Garcia, Nick - defender
Hernandez, Jason - defender
Huckerby, Darren - midfielder
Johnson, Ryan - forward
Lima, Francisco - midfielder
Salinas, Shea - midfielder
Sealy, Scott - forward
Below is the list of the Earthquakes unprotected players:
Arce, Miguel - forward
Ayres, Jay - defender
Cunliffe, John - forward
Denton, Eric - defender
Ghebru, Michael - midfielder/forward
Glinton, Gavin - forward
Grabavoy, Ned - midfielder
Gray, Kelly - defender/midfielder
Gustavson, Michael - goalkeeper
Hatzke, Matt - defender
O'Brien, Ronnie - midfielder
Riley, James - defender
Roberts, Jamil - defender
Smarte, Adam - forward
Somma, Davide - forward
The MLS expansion draft details are listed below:
MLS Expansion Draft Rules
Teams may protect 11 players between their Senior and their Developmental Roster.
If the Player's contract expires at the end of 2008, he will still be considered part of the team's Senior Roster.
If a team protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player's option. The team may renegotiate a new budget number for the player as in previous years.
If a player retires, he will not be a part of the Senior Roster, but his team will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.
Players on a team's Developmental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season, may be left unprotected and are eligible may be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft.
Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2008 season are automatically protected (teams do not have to protect them).
If Seattle Sounders FC select a Developmental Player they must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must be on Seattle's Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.
Teams are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available per the table set forth below.
For purposes of this expansion process, for U.S.-based teams, any non-domestic U.S. player would count as an International and for Toronto FC, any non-domestic U.S. player or non-domestic Canadian player would count as an International.
Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player has a no trade clause in which case he must be protected.
Maximum Player Loss
Once a player has been claimed from a team's non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.
Right to Renegotiate
Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.
On the first day of the Discovery/Allocation Period, Seattle will have priority over players who played professionally in the USL First or Second Division in 2008, subject to another MLS team's right of first refusal.
The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.
INTERNATIONAL PLAYER PROTECTION REQUIREMENT
Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2008
- Chicago Fire Weekly Notes - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Announce List of Players Available For MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Player List For Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Announce Protected Player List for 2008 MLS Expansion Draft - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announced List of Player Available for MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Protects 11 Players in Advance of Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA submits 11-player Protected Roster for Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS Expansion Draft Takes Place November 26 - MLS
- Earthquakes Trade Jovan Kirovski to Los Angeles Galaxy in Exchange for a Conditional Draft Pick - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Re-signs Defender Jamison Olave - Real Salt Lake
- Wizards Acquire Forward Adam Cristman from New England Revolution - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Trades Cristman to Kansas City - New England Revolution
- D.C. United holds Holiday Auction online - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to compete in SuperLiga 2009 - Chicago Fire
- Revolution to Participate in SuperLiga 2009 - New England Revolution
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Quakes earn second win in last three matches; Hoesen tallies brace
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Avaya Stadium this Summer
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 15, 2019
- Yueill nets first MLS career goal in loss
- Quakes to Celebrate Earth Day with Activations on Match Day